Closed Solved

Should I buy a workstation graphics card or just use my gaming cards ?

I'm building a high-end PC and I want to use it for both gaming and 3D animation on Autodesk Maya 2013. Here is the parts I plan to buy for this setup.

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II
Motherboard: Intel DZ77RE-75K Extreme Series Z77
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K (OC 4.0-4.5 GHz)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme
Cooling: 8 120mm fans + 1 140mm fan
Power Supply:Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt 80 PLUS Platinum
RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 OC 2400 MHz
OS: Windows Professional 64bit and Mac OSX Mountain Lion Dual Boot
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 680 (OC 1202MHz)
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX

I am trying to decide whether to get another GTX 680 and use SLI or get a workstation card to use for Autodesk. The highest I'm going to pay for a workstation card at the moment is $750. How much better in performance would be more expensive cards?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about should workstation graphics card gaming cards
  1. Best answer
    It would be great in performance, but let me suggest you one thing:

First, get single GTX 680 and check whether you like the performance. If the performance isn't sufficient, get a workstation card, and if it is, get another GTX 680!
  2. Sunius said:
    It would be great in performance, but let me suggest you one thing:

First, get single GTX 680 and check whether you like the performance. If the performance isn't sufficient, get a workstation card, and if it is, get another GTX 680!

Thanks! I feel stupid know not thinking to do that. :lol:
    I guess it would be better to wait and see if I like the performance before spending money on a pricey workstation card.
  3. Best answer selected by FLUDDzone.
  4. Glad I helped you :).
  5. A 7970 would be a much smarter choice in your case seeing as NVidia's current generation GPGPU performance is crap(compared to AMD that is) , If any of the apps you use have OpenCL acceleration support then you will see a very significant advantage when using an AMD card.
  6. ^
    What has GPGPU have to do with anything? He won't use GPGPU applications.
  7. It supports OpenCL acceleration.
  8. wiinippongamer said:
    It supports OpenCL acceleration.

yes openCL is supported but just like CUDA there isn't a "one size fits all" since openCL is only supported in one feature: http://usa.autodesk.com/maya/features/
    Quote:
    Bullet Physics

Simulate both soft and rigid bodies in a single system, with the high-performance, open source AMD Bullet Physics engine.

Create highly realistic simulations of cloth, rope, deformable objects, and ragdoll skeletons.
    Take advantage of discrete and continuous 3D collision detection.

*Available on Microsoft® Windows® (64-bit only), Linux®, and Mac OS® X operating systems; OpenCL acceleration on Windows and Linux offers additional performance benefits on those platforms.

now it doesn't specify what additional performance benefits.

the benefits of openCL are great and are just now getting some attention but developers aren't changing their code overnight.
  9. But all around the 7970 is a better value for money than a GTX680 IMO, more so if you plan on using it for non-gaming apps.
  10. ^ true.
  11. wiinippongamer said:
    But all around the 7970 is a better value for money than a GTX680 IMO, more so if you plan on using it for non-gaming apps.

Wow, that is a bold statement 'round these parts. I applaud you sir, I just hope someone doesnt latch onto your leg and do you an injustice by disagreeing in a rather exhuburant way.
  12. wiinippongamer said:
    But all around the 7970 is a better value for money than a GTX680 IMO, more so if you plan on using it for non-gaming apps.

That is so not true! Especially since GTX 680 is faster. And let me correct you: not all non gaming apps use GPU computing, so only in those few GPGPU programs (like folding at home) HD 7970 has an edge. In all others, it's below GTX 680.
  13. Sunius said:
    That is so not true! Especially since GTX 680 is faster. And let me correct you: not all non gaming apps use GPU computing, so only in those few GPGPU programs (like folding at home) HD 7970 has an edge. In all others, it's below GTX 680.

That's why I said In My Opinion. But YOU CAN DO WHATEVER THE F**CK U WANNA DOOO!!! (If you've watched the hodgetwins you'll get the joke) :P
  14. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product