Sign in with
Your question

Strange Behavior - Need some advice

Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2012 5:10:11 PM

Hi, I recently built a system (Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H MB, i7 3770, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, Crucial m4 SSD, Win7). It was fairly stble for two months, just a couple of random freezes). Then suddenly two days ago, it started boot loops. Just continuous, will stay up for less than 2 minutes, or even refuse to power on and post for a few minutes, then it will power back on. I was resigned to do a warranty replace on the MB. I Just for the heck of it, I opened the case, made sure all power connectors were tight (which they were), made sure nothing is obstructing (I did hear some weird fan noise that day). Powered it back up and now it is as if nothing was wrong and it is stable as ever!

Is it possible something was obstructing the CPU cooler fan? I read somewhere the cooler (Hyper 212 plus) can cause torque on the MB, yet I don't see how it resolved by itself. Anyway, I realize it is difficult to diagnose, but if anyone has experience or any insights, that would be great, Thx.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2012 10:54:31 PM

If the cooler fan was stopping or being obstructed, the processor would eventually overheat and shut down. But I wouldn't expect it to constantly re-boot. Although I never had that happen, so I can't say for sure. And, I can't imagine that small torque from the little fan on a cooler to "torque" the board into having an issue. Keep a pgm like Core Temp running for awhile to monitor CPU temps.

Re-booting could also be an issue with a too small or faulty PSU. At this point with everything working normal, it is hard to diagnose. Even the board itself could be the culprit. Run some stress tests like Prime95 and see if temps look good and there are no errors or faults. If RAM was the issue, I wouldn't expect a re-booting to happen. That usually results in lockups or BSODs.
m
l
!