Jan 28, 2013
Hello,
Like the tittle says i'm wondering if Rosewill 530w would be enough to run a:
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC
I5 - 3470
A few fans
LG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer
WD WD5000AAKX Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.5

I really read from some forums that 500w is enough but others say it isn't enough. I don't know much about PSU's so any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 27 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector. Some of the non-reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards require at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W, with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 41 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7850 graphics card.

I never said a Radeon HD 7850 uses 300 Watts.

I don't provide system power supply estimates based on gaming power draw but based on the ability to survive running Furmark or heavy GPGPU processing. Why would I want a poster coming back here complaining that their system shut down when they tried to run Furmark? Better safe than sorry.

There is a Radeon HD 7850 card that has a measured power consumption of 178 Watts when running Furmark or when used for heavy GPGPU processing.

I'm not saying that the OP's Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC will draw 178 Watts while running Furmark. It will more likely be around 128 to 140 Watts depending on if the card is left at its factory clock speeds or if it's manually overclocked. It has an actual measured power draw of 107.67 Watts during gaming while using factory clock speeds.