Sign in with
Your question

No display on monitor, components seemingly functional

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2012 2:04:09 PM

Hi,

My PC recently stopped working, when i turn the PC on i get no signal on the monitor. I have tested the GPU, CPU, PSU and RAM which all worked fine. I thought the problem was a faulty motherboard so exchanged it for a new one of the same model, which worked fine before. I've tried troubleshooting using only necessary components with no results. I also tried using a different monitor and output method. At this point all components seem to be working fine (in a friends system) and the motherboard is brand new. I also tried using a friends GPU which did not work in my system either.

Specs;

CPU: AMD 1100T 3.3GHz 6 core
GPU: Sapphire 6870 1GB GDDR5
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Corsair GS700 700W
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX
HDD: Seagate 500GB
Case: CM Storm Scout

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Ollie
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2012 2:31:57 PM

Did you check the monitor cable and the monitor cable connection for tightness ?

By the way, how did you check GPU, PSU, etc. ? If you are able to check these components, you could as well check M/B rather than replace it ?
August 15, 2012 2:38:53 PM

Disassemble the entire system and first try with motherboard, CPU, PSU and RAM (if you have integrated graphics try it first)...
then you can connect other parts later..
Related resources
August 15, 2012 2:42:53 PM

suat said:
Did you check the monitor cable and the monitor cable connection for tightness ?

By the way, how did you check GPU, PSU, etc. ? If you are able to check these components, you could as well check M/B rather than replace it ?

The components were tested in a friends system individually which all worked. I have already replaced the M/B with a new one of the same model. I have tried DVI and HDMI on 2 different displays, i made sure the GPU and cables were securely fastened.
August 15, 2012 2:44:50 PM

pasanwc said:
Disassemble the entire system and first try with motherboard, CPU, PSU and RAM (if you have integrated graphics try it first)...
then you can connect other parts later..

The motherboard does not have integrated graphics, when I received the new motherboard I tested it outside of the case with only required components.
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2012 7:30:44 AM

So you are losing motherboards fast. Can you elaborate a bit more on the history of your PC, namey, the first build date, the first M/B failure, the second M/B failure, etc. ? My guess is, (1) you are building a short in your PC causing eventual failure. Overtightening the M/B screws may be one reason (2) your PSU is damaging M/B.
August 17, 2012 10:45:58 AM

+1 for suat....maybe you're using a cheaper unbranded power supply with some not so good power cords as well...if so immediately go for something decent like Corsair, Antec, XFX or atleast Cooler master with stable voltages and buy a good multi socket
August 19, 2012 7:36:36 PM

suat said:
So you are losing motherboards fast. Can you elaborate a bit more on the history of your PC, namey, the first build date, the first M/B failure, the second M/B failure, etc. ? My guess is, (1) you are building a short in your PC causing eventual failure. Overtightening the M/B screws may be one reason (2) your PSU is damaging M/B.

Sure, the first build was late January, no parts have been swapped since then. This is first fault which happened at the end of July. The motherboard had not been removed from the case since first build. Is there anyway to tell if the PSU is the problem?

Sorry i took so long to reply.
August 20, 2012 7:41:23 AM

Goto the bios and check the voltages...they must be operate within + or - 5% range
!