Help noob! FX-8350 vs. i5-3570K

HBchevelle68

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
OK so I originally was going to run with this system:

System:
CPU: FX-8350
MOBO: Asus Sbertooth 990fx
HEAT SINK: Thermaltake Frio overclocking (Purchased) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150[
GPU: EVGA 550ti 2GB (Purchased)
PSU: Corsair HX650 (Purchased)
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 (Purchased)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
HDD: 2TB Western Digital (Purchased)
CASE: Coolermaster Haf X All 5 fan slots filled (Purchased)

The only items I have NOT purchased yet are the SSD, MOBO, and CPU.

But i have recently been reading a lot of issues people have been having with the new 8350, such as windows 7/8 no recognizing all 8 cores. people having the chip underclock, not getting to overclock, etc.

So now I am wondering if I should reconsider. So I want your HONEST, FACT driven advice. Should I go with the i5-3570K or the FX-8350? I have looked this subject up and everyone posts different results, sometimes AMD wins, others Intel wins I am new to this so some help would be greatly appreciated!

WHAT I WILL USE IT FOR:
I am a Computer Science major and my school consistantly requires us to work with engineers and so I will be running some engineering programs as well as some of the larger CS only programs simultaneously. My current laptop struggles with this at times.

I will also be using it for some decent gaming.

I also would like to be able to overclock it as well

Thanks all!!

HBchevelle68

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Well I will be using MatLab and Solid works, but many programs are custom, meaning there are written by me and my team. Games wise, BF3, Planetside2, diablo3, other steams games as well but those are the big ones.

lol ya I know its not the greatest, but I got it for about 95 bucks out the door so I just went with it

hope this helps!

HBchevelle68

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Well I will be using MatLab and Solid works, but many programs are custom, meaning there are written by me and my team. Games wise, BF3, Planetside2, diablo3, other steams games as well but those are the big ones.

lol ya I know its not the greatest, but I got it for about 95 bucks out the door so I just went with it

hope this helps!

Kindredsouls

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
GTX 550 TI technically is a gaming card but its the previous generation's model and it was the entry level gaming card.

Aside from that, a list of programs would help. Sounds like to me you'll be running production software on it primarily with some limited gaming. If that is indeed the case I would probably lean towards the AMD CPU. Eight cores versus the four cores without hyperthreading on the Intel CPU will probably help you more. I run the 3570k in my desktop but I use it primarily for gaming. In your case I'd probably go the AMD route. That to me sounds like the best price/performance solution.

Hope that helps.

HBchevelle68

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Well I will be using MatLab and Solid Works for sure, but many programs are custom, meaning there are written by me and my team. Games wise, BF3, Planetside2, diablo3, other steams games as well but those are the big ones.

also plan on overclocking which ever CPU

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-8.html

For the performance of the 3570k add 10% performance increase to the 2500k numbers, for the 8350 add 10% performance increase to the 8150 bench numbers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-power-consumption-efficiency,3060-10.html

Hope these are of some use to you.

For gaming on those particular games a overcloked i5 3570k would be superior.

Good luck.

popatim

Titan
both Matlab and Solidworks only offer multithreading on a function by function basis. SW also will function better using GPU acceleration so a better video card will benefit you there as well as in games.

Computationally both processors will function nearly the same in SolidWorks, the fx being slightly faster.

Matlab I beleive would function faster on the intel due to its higher IPC and full core design (it won't need to share the FP unit as each core has its own to use)

HBchevelle68

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

So by the looks of that the i5-3570k would be outperforming the 8350. Would it still be beating the 8350 if both were OC'd?

HBchevelle68

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Which would would you suggest? Matlab, Solidworks, Comp Sci programs. some gaming as well

Thanks!

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I use solid works on an 8350, it's just fine. I would suggest lots of ram and I would also have suggested getting a quadro equivalent graphics card. You can convert drivers on some gaming cards to match the quadro cards specs. That makes the biggest difference.
You should have got the gtx 470 (about 140 on ebay) which is equivalent to the quadro 6000 (about 3,800 on newegg).

HBchevelle68

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hmm ok, so it seems that for handling comp sci programs and engineering type programs the FX 8350 is better but if I was only gonna use it for games then the i5-3570k is better.

What bout for OC'ing??

HBchevelle68

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

What do you think it can be OC'd to? I have the thermaltake Frio http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150

I am so torn, because it seems that most prefer the i5-3570k as being a better all around chip, but at the same time it seems that the 8350 can handle more multi tasking, but seems to have more problems

Stark AMD

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
I have an AMD fx 8350 and I OC to 4.4GHz and its absolutley insane the speed. Just make sure you got proper cooling or it will replace your house heater :p. I have that same MOBO and its amazing everything u can do from its little menu. Monitor the temp of everything form cpu to memory and map out fan speeds according to heat n stuff. Its pretty sick. Goodluck bro.

Side note: Most people look at intel processor and say performance over raw core count power but lets be logical, 4 cores vs 8 cores? even if each AMD core is 25% less powerful then each intel core, your still sporting a 50% faster chip. If it was an i7 and u got the $ go intel. But unless your on a laptop then go AMD for the most power per $

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Most games don't use more than 2-4 cores, there are exceptions though but they are very few atm.

So in gaming you are idling half your amd cores, while the 2-4 at least 25% weaker do all the work.

Also even IF you are using all 8 cores most of the time it barely comes close to equaling the 4 intel cores.

4 work draft horses are better than 8 ponies, 4 of which could be sleeping all the time.