Post Office: Who is held responsible? Post Office Worker, or Me?

maxman190

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I don't know which thread this goes into, but since it involves my GTX 560, I'll post it here.

Alright, I'll start off by saying that I needed to send in my graphic card to ASUS for RMA service. I told her (the mail person behind the glass) that it was delicate and breakable.
|------------------|
^Width of graphic card
|---------------------|
^Width of box
|------------------------|
^Width of bubble wrap

She placed the card in the middle of the bubble wrap so it's like this :
|--|------card-------|--|

She placed the bubble wrapped card like this.
|--|------card-------|--|
|---------box--------|

So there is about 2 inches of bubble wrap sticking out, she shoves it into the box, so the box had like a 2 inch buldge, she pushes the buldge in to reshape the box, and she pushes one side of the card down into box to put all the bubble wrap in.

What are the chances that the card might be damaged?
Who would be held responsible if it was damaged? Me or the postal worker?
Do all post office have cameras that could prove my case?

maxman190

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, defective, not damaged.. >.>

maxman190

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

I was about to but forgot, the postal worker never mentioned any insurance, so I didn't remember...

dominyon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I recently shipped a graphics card bound in bubble wrap, but within the confines of the box, and it was damaged when it was received. Granted the box was also crushed a bit but one of the capacitors on the card was knocked off.

maxman190

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

AHHH THAT'S WHAT I'M AFRAID OF!!

Then dont be lazy and pack it yourself, how YOU feel comfortable with it being packed. Trust me when I say, the person behind the counter whether it be USPS, UPS or FedEx or anywhere in the world, doesnt give a flying f about what you are shipping. :)

I wouldn't worry about it, 2 inches of bubble wrap is plenty. I ship a lot of stuff via USPS, they are quick and handle packages well, from what I've seen at least.

If the post office worker damaged your card with poor wrapping it's on you though, it's your responsibility to wrap an item properly; you let someone else handle and package your item.

Note:
Never use UPS for shipping too! They are terrible when it comes with dropping off packages!

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
It would be your fault, first off it was wrapped in bubble wrap and not an antistatic bag!
Second it was put in a box and shipped without insurance! Just plain poor packing, did your video card come packaged to you, like you sent it out? Should have used UPS or Fedx and packed right, in two boxes.

maxman190

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
It was in an antistatic bag, then wrapped with bubble wrap. I didn't pack it myself because I purchased the wrap and box from the postal worker behind the glass and she never said if I needed help with it, she just started packing it.

They should not package your items unless you give them consent.

USPS boxes are complimentary\free for shipping only.

Buy bubble wrap from somewhere else for cheap and wrap it yourself next time; that stuff is expensive.

maxman190

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

They never asked me for consent, and I will do that next time, if my card isn't damaged..

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
You are responsible for proper packing of the card.

If they have a policy on acceptable packaging, then they may not replace your card for that reason. It all depends on the company.

Example like here from Seagate they are pretty particular:
http://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-returns/void-warranty-checklist/

TRENDING THREADS