Sign in with
Your question

Speed tests high but slow internet

Last response: in Networking
September 30, 2011 4:17:15 AM

Hi I'm new to the site and for the past couple of days I've been trying to figure out why my connection is so slow. I only get about 180kbps of download speeds so I originally thought it was my internet, but I went to test my connection speed on speedtest.net and I get around 1mbps. I also checked my network utilization through task manager and I'm not even using 1% Any Ideas as to why I can't make full use of my connection? any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!!

More about : speed tests high slow internet

October 3, 2011 2:40:14 PM

What exactly about the internet is slow? Downloads or Pages?
Troubleshooting performance can be quite laborious, there are tools on DSLReports.com that I would recommend you try.
A common issue with slow page loads is the dns server your using, I would recommend trying http://www.opendns.com and see if that helps
m
l
October 3, 2011 3:05:38 PM

Afro_Samurai said:
Hi I'm new to the site and for the past couple of days I've been trying to figure out why my connection is so slow. I only get about 180kbps of download speeds so I originally thought it was my internet, but I went to test my connection speed on speedtest.net and I get around 1mbps. I also checked my network utilization through task manager and I'm not even using 1% Any Ideas as to why I can't make full use of my connection? any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!!

Is it 180 KBps or 180 Kbps ?? and also is it 1 mbps or 1 MBps (The small or capital B makes a difference !! ( 1 (Byte) = 8 (bits)) Marketing Departments tend to advertise the bits while downloads and speed test results report in Bytes since that way they can advertise somethng that sounds 8 times faster to those that do not understand the difference !! (much like HDD companies that round GB to 1000 MB instead of the actual 1024 MB and TB to 1000 GB instead of 1024 GB -- so your advertised 1TB HDD only actually yields 1,000,000 MBs instead of the 1,048,576 MBs it should have !! )

From your description of your speed on speed test you probably have a 1-2 mbps (Megabits per second) internet service -- to break that down you need to know what that means so here is a quick breakdown --

1 MB == 8 Mb == 1024 KB == 8192 Kb

1 Mb == 128 KB == 1024 Kb

So from what you are saying if you just have the B or b mixed up things are about correct if you indeed have say a 1.5 Mbps service the maximum download rates you should see would be 192 KBps ( 128 x 1.5 = 192) So if you are getting 180 KBps then you are getting what you are paying for !! (since there is also some overhead for the transmission protocol which uses up some bandwidth just to keep the connection going) if however you are only getting 180 Kbps as you wrote then it is about 8x slower than it should be.

Thing is nowadays a 1.5Mbps connection is pretty low end (since there is more and more video content being streamed that requires at a minimum about that speed) -- If you plan on watching streaming video etc. you might want to look into a higher speed service (It's worth the small additional cost to move from 1.5Mbps to somewhere in the 6 to 12 Mbps that most mid level services now offer. )
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2012 5:42:18 AM

It may some connection problem service provider i think please call your ISP and inform this problem...You can check the internet speed at Scanmyspeed.com
You can follow the tips below to increase the speed of the internet...

You can call your isp and inform this problem....You can also follow the tips below to increase internet speed.
Install Anti Virus Software or Firewall or Internet security in all devices.Speed Booster Software do not increase the speed of the internet.I have personal experience in using it... you can use the latest Browser,You can also use the Torrent to upload and Downloading ...Restart the computer or Laptop and reset Modem ,Router (reset Connection) .It helps to Speed up the internet.
m
l
!