New 7970 and graphics corruption

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
So I just installed a Visiontek 7970 that was *new* and purchased from Newegg. I say *new* because it's the only video card I've ever received that didn't have the static bag sealed upon opening the card, although everything else seemed fine.

I upgraded from crossfire 5850's and everything else is the same in my setup.

When I installed the CCC 12.6 drivers after the install, I noticed blue horizontal lines and some blue "dots" in some of the black areas on the main display (24" Samsung), but the secondary 19" BenQ looked fine. Sometimes you'll see yellow vertial bands on white areas like web pages. Both were/are connected via DVI, with one monitor using either an HDMI or DP adapter. The issue only seems to happen on the desktop, and not while gaming.

I tried running just the 24" monitor, but that didn't help. I found that if I move the DVI cable between inputs while the PC is running the problem goes away until I reboot, at which time I have to move the cable back. I tried several different drivers with no resolution (doesn't happen when no drivers are installed). So basically right now I'm moving the cable back and forth every time I boot.

I'm going to try to swap DVI cables when I get home tonight. Strange.