Sign in with
Your question

Constant computer crashes (GPU related?)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2012 5:34:48 PM

Hi tom's hardware community. A friend of mine has had constant problems with his computer for a long time now. after doing quite a bit of work on it, I believe he may have a faulty video card. here are his computer specs
CPU: Amd Phenom 2 x4 3.0 ghz
Motherboard: Asus m4a87td evo
Hard drive 1: Segate 160 gb sata 6.0 gb/s
Hard Drive 2: WD blue 500 gb ide 133 legacy hard drive for storage
GPU: Asus eah5750 formula 1gb video memory
4 gb corsair dominators
850 watt corsair power supply

Here is what i know so far:
- He has had several blue screens related to directx, specifically the module dxgkrnl.sys
-tested both ram sticks they are fine.
-reinstalled windows to no success.
-tested both the original drivers and the latest drivers (12.6 catalyst).
- crashes tend to happen more in games

if anyone has an answer or suggestion, pls let me know. my friend is becoming frustrated with his computer and is looking at the dreaded apple dark side.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 15, 2012 5:41:50 PM

Hi, do you know about the temps when it crashes ?

Maybe try a spare gpu laying around somewhere / borrow one ?
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2012 2:19:23 PM

Hi and thanks for posting. I can tell you this about the temperature. If you know anything about that graphics card, its specifically designed for optimum cooling. not only that, but i replaced the gpu thermal compound with artic silver 5. its not a cooling problem.
as far as a spare gpu, yes i could do that. it will take me a few days to arrange to go to his house and put it in, so i may not post anything for a while. thanks for the posts!
and i'm not quite sure what the problem is with dxgkrnl, all i know is that it is usually the reason for crashing. anyway, ill get you more details later. again, thanks!
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:21:57 PM

TechnoD said:
Hi tom's hardware community. A friend of mine has had constant problems with his computer for a long time now. after doing quite a bit of work on it, I believe he may have a faulty video card. here are his computer specs
CPU: Amd Phenom 2 x4 3.0 ghz
Motherboard: Asus m4a87td evo
Hard drive 1: Segate 160 gb sata 6.0 gb/s
Hard Drive 2: WD blue 500 gb ide 133 legacy hard drive for storage
GPU: Asus eah5750 formula 1gb video memory
4 gb corsair dominators
850 watt corsair power supply

Here is what i know so far:
- He has had several blue screens related to directx, specifically the module dxgkrnl.sys
-tested both ram sticks they are fine.
-reinstalled windows to no success.
-tested both the original drivers and the latest drivers (12.6 catalyst).
- crashes tend to happen more in games

if anyone has an answer or suggestion, pls let me know. my friend is becoming frustrated with his computer and is looking at the dreaded apple dark side.

If what everyone else suggests doesnt work, try testing a different PSU
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:43:03 PM

Hi thespeiler, I regret to inform you that i missed a part in my "here is what i know so far" spiel. I did test the power supply and tried another known working corsair i had.
m
l
!