Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PSU Dying out.. Which one to get?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Power
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
February 19, 2013 9:00:27 PM

So i built myself a system recently and couldn't find a decent power supply, so i bought a cheap 250w one for a fiver. But i saw that my 9600GSO needs a 6PIN power connector. So i modified the PSU and gave it a 6pin power connector. But i've noticed that my games hard freeze and i have to shut down my PC directly to remove the freeze, I'm pretty much sure that this is a power supply issue. I've narrowed down a list of the ones that i can afford right now.

First one is this on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Power-Supply-Seasonic-SS-4...

Third one is this FSP OEM psu that is 400 watts: http://www.cclonline.com/product/98232/9PA4005502/Power... Comes with a 6 Pin power connector as well.

Or should i just wait another week until i have enough for a xfx brand PSU. I know this is the best bet but i'm getting my internet set up soon and i wont be able to stop myself from downloading and running a few intense games. Right now I'm afraid to power the damn thing on! Bare in mind that the FSP and Ebay PSU i can buy tomorrow. But for the XFX one i'll have to wait until 2-3 weeks.

More about : psu dying

a b ) Power supply
February 19, 2013 9:02:33 PM

Hi haider. The PSU on eBay is the original CX430. Corsair buys their PSUs from Seasonic and call it their own. Go for it.
February 19, 2013 9:04:55 PM

Its a used one dude :(  i've never bought from ebay before either. what do you think of the fsp one?
Related resources
February 19, 2013 9:11:49 PM

I wouldn't try to buy a used PSU, just not worth the risk of it frying everything in your case.

The FSP one seems not too bad, but the low price is somewhat concerning. The PSU is one of the integral PC components, getting a good one is important because PSUs sometimes are the first to fail in a PC. I would say wait and save up for a quality name brand PSU, I learned my lesson when I bought the first PSU I saw at my local store (Ultra brand, not the best...) and I now have the most annoying coil whine when my machine is off. Getting an XFX one is your best bet, try your best not to do gaming while you wait, you can seriously damage your components if they dont get enough power and crash.

a b ) Power supply
February 19, 2013 9:12:20 PM

haider95 said:
Its a used one dude :(  i've never bought from ebay before either. what do you think of the fsp one?

So. Its used? Is that bad? 35% of my first build was used. I do like the FSP, but I am biased to Corsair. Sorry.
a b ) Power supply
February 19, 2013 9:17:08 PM

TheN00bBuilder said:
Hi haider. The PSU on eBay is the original CX430. Corsair buys their PSUs from Seasonic and call it their own. Go for it.

Not true. Corsair (as with many brands) employ a number of OEMs to produce their product range. The CX series is made almost exclusively by Channel Well (CWT).
Also I'd be very sceptical about buying a used PSU. Everything has a finite lifespan and PSUs are no exception. I don't see a date of manufacture on it but the SS-430HB is not a new PSU and is long since discontinued. If it's been running for years then it could be useless.

The usual recommendation for as cheap a PSU as you want to buy is usually going to be the Corsair CX430, XFX Core 450 etc. Spending much under £40 on a PSU is likely to be a false economy.
February 19, 2013 9:18:35 PM

conpen said:
I wouldn't try to buy a used PSU, just not worth the risk of it frying everything in your case.

The FSP one seems not too bad, but the low price is somewhat concerning. The PSU is one of the integral PC components, getting a good one is important because PSUs sometimes are the first to fail in a PC. I would say wait and save up for a quality name brand PSU, I learned my lesson when I bought the first PSU I saw at my local store (Ultra brand, not the best...) and I now have the most annoying coil whine when my machine is off. Getting an XFX one is your best bet, try your best not to do gaming while you wait, you can seriously damage your components if they dont get enough power and crash.

Exactly what i'm afraid of! Its cheap maybe because it's been pulled from a system that it originally came with and yeah noob its used :(  i know what you mean the rig i've built is 100% used stuff as well but used PSU's are one of the items i'm actually scared of but i'll go for it if it seems reliable enough
a b ) Power supply
February 19, 2013 9:21:18 PM

Rammy said:
Not true. Corsair (as with many brands) employ a number of OEMs to produce their product range. The CX series is made almost exclusively by Channel Well (CWT).
Also I'd be very sceptical about buying a used PSU. Everything has a finite lifespan and PSUs are no exception. I don't see a date of manufacture on it but the SS-430HB is not a new PSU and is long since discontinued. If it's been running for years then it could be useless.

The usual recommendation for as cheap a PSU as you want to buy is usually going to be the Corsair CX430, XFX Core 450 etc. Spending much under £40 on a PSU is likely to be a false economy.


Actually, the GLN (or what the FSP is) is very high quality. I'd get the FSP. And, thanks for telling me about the corsair. Other people said it was made by Seasonic.
February 19, 2013 9:28:25 PM

Just the person i needed on this thread! Rammy what do you think about the FSP one? If it's not good i'll just end up saving more for the XFX one
a b ) Power supply
February 19, 2013 9:37:10 PM

TheN00bBuilder said:
Actually, the GLN (or what the FSP is) is very high quality. I'd get the FSP. And, thanks for telling me about the corsair. Other people said it was made by Seasonic.


Its a common misconception. Most of the big brands use a bunch of OEMs to get the best value. Does make it a little awkward if they insist on using different OEMs within the same model range though. Thermaltake are awful for it.

I'd question the merit of buying the FSP though. There is literally no tech data provided on the selling page which is bad, and the only review I can find of it - http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/atx-psu8...
is very old and seems to be of an earlier version which has no PCIe connector, and only 1 sata connector, which conflicts with the limited info on the CCL page. I'd assume they just changed the cables to a more modern configuration and kept the internals the same, but that's pure speculation.

If I were buying a new cheap PSU tomorrow, I'd pick between the XFX Core 450 and Corsair CX430. Both are decent quality and are 80Plus Bronze rated, but the XFX has a little more juice and an OEM generally considered better. Given they are about the same price, I'd go for the XFX. http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupp...
February 19, 2013 9:47:14 PM

Lol i was just about to link that page. They're selling like crazy too! the one pound difference between them and the corsair builder is worth it i guess. P.S I like the way its built :o  I'll have to buy it in the next week or so. Thanks for the input guys! I could still get the FSP one if rammy approves of it. I was able to find a review on it

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/power-supply-gro...

Let me know guys
!