Graphics card external power supply

darkflcn6

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I'm not a technician so I don't know the correct wording for every, so bare with me. :p I just bought an EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked and they have 2 external power supply spots. Both 6 pin/hole (3 top/3 bottom thing) and the cord that goes into that splits into 2 cables (White ends and 3 prongs in it) where you'd plug the power supply into for it to connect to the graphics card. Do I need to have both of the white ends connected or would one be enough? I don't have enough power supply cords to connect to every single white end cables. I hope any of this makes sense.

darkflcn6

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Hmmm, uhm. I've even confused myself now. The 6 pin pcie being the thing alternating with squares and pentagon type shape which plugs into the graphics card. 3 top and 3 bottom. Well yes, I plugged both of those into the graphics card. But my question is. The 2 cable leads that extend out of those that then have white ends. Do I have to have both of those connected to the power supply cables? (These white things) Link: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html&h=410&w=898&sz=30&tbnid=Q2aZxsLihmWfJM:&tbnh=58&tbnw=127&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpcie%2Bcable%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=pcie+cable&usg=__O-xwwDcVbh-LggVuDo1hyiQAYTI=&docid=tjbQRLbCgDxRjM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=b-UrUN_DG8H00gHN2oHoCQ&ved=0CG0Q9QEwAQ&dur=2363

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
yes they (the white ends are molex plugs) have to have power running to them. those are not suggested for use though. like auntarie said generally if your power supply doesnt have pcie plugs already, its not meant for a graphics card. what brand and power rating is the power supply youre currently using?

darkflcn6

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Haha, as I said. I'm not a technician. ^___________^ I'm 17 and I've just been buildin' and makin' computers for about a year. Kinda' a hobby. But awesome, thanks for the quick replies and taking the time to understand my situation from a lack of knowledge.

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012

Didn't want to offend you or anything, it's just kind of late on this side of the internet. And if you're building computers as a hobby at 17, you're doing pretty good don't worry. Most of the guys in my class don't even know what version of windows they're using :/ Anyway, glad we helped.

darkflcn6

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Thanks chief, another question. Cus' I just put everything together and haven't had this problem before. I have 2 of the graphics cards in and it says it supports SLI and I have an Nvidia SLI bridge connecting the two cards together but the screen wont recieve any signal when I have the two cards connected. I've already read up that the bridge shouldn't matter but I can't seem to get them to work. I unplugged them and only had one running to see if I could find some drivers or a program to allow the drivers to work together. But what am I doing wrong. It worked on my old graphics cards. :l