Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card external power supply

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2012 5:59:14 PM

I'm not a technician so I don't know the correct wording for every, so bare with me. :p  I just bought an EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked and they have 2 external power supply spots. Both 6 pin/hole (3 top/3 bottom thing) and the cord that goes into that splits into 2 cables (White ends and 3 prongs in it) where you'd plug the power supply into for it to connect to the graphics card. Do I need to have both of the white ends connected or would one be enough? I don't have enough power supply cords to connect to every single white end cables. I hope any of this makes sense.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2012 6:04:09 PM

you do need to plug both of the 6 pin pcie connectors into the graphics card...i think thats what youre asking
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2012 6:05:12 PM

The GPU requires all of those plugs to be, well, plugged in. If your power supply doesn't have enough cords, chances are it's not powerful enough to run that card.
Related resources
August 15, 2012 6:07:42 PM

When you say white ends are they a D shaped plug with upto 4 pins? If so, thats a molex connector. One maybe female and the other a male plug. Do a google search to see what it looks like.
August 15, 2012 6:09:26 PM

Hmmm, uhm. I've even confused myself now. The 6 pin pcie being the thing alternating with squares and pentagon type shape which plugs into the graphics card. 3 top and 3 bottom. Well yes, I plugged both of those into the graphics card. But my question is. The 2 cable leads that extend out of those that then have white ends. Do I have to have both of those connected to the power supply cables? (These white things) Link: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.playtool...
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2012 6:12:45 PM

yes they (the white ends are molex plugs) have to have power running to them. those are not suggested for use though. like auntarie said generally if your power supply doesnt have pcie plugs already, its not meant for a graphics card. what brand and power rating is the power supply youre currently using?
August 15, 2012 6:17:29 PM

Oh, so I can use the pci-e's ones from the power supply as well. Awesome, but my power supply is Ultra 750W ATX Power Supply. Model NO: is ULT-LSP750P
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2012 6:18:14 PM

oh yeah definitely use those! the adapters included with the card are just meant for those who dont have pcie plugs already with their psu.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2012 6:20:22 PM

Quote:
Oh, so I can use the pci-e's ones from the power supply as well.

Sorry, what? Do you mean that you already have normal PCI-E connectors? If so, use them and not the molex to PCI adapters.
August 15, 2012 6:21:18 PM

Haha, as I said. I'm not a technician. ^___________^ I'm 17 and I've just been buildin' and makin' computers for about a year. Kinda' a hobby. But awesome, thanks for the quick replies and taking the time to understand my situation from a lack of knowledge.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2012 6:25:02 PM

yessir, also including pictures like you did is pretty helpful when you dont know the exact name of somehting, just to save time when asking future questions!
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2012 6:29:55 PM

darkflcn6 said:
Haha, as I said. I'm not a technician. ^___________^ I'm 17 and I've just been buildin' and makin' computers for about a year. Kinda' a hobby. But awesome, thanks for the quick replies and taking the time to understand my situation from a lack of knowledge.

Didn't want to offend you or anything, it's just kind of late on this side of the internet. And if you're building computers as a hobby at 17, you're doing pretty good don't worry. Most of the guys in my class don't even know what version of windows they're using :/  Anyway, glad we helped.
August 15, 2012 6:55:41 PM

Thanks chief, another question. Cus' I just put everything together and haven't had this problem before. I have 2 of the graphics cards in and it says it supports SLI and I have an Nvidia SLI bridge connecting the two cards together but the screen wont recieve any signal when I have the two cards connected. I've already read up that the bridge shouldn't matter but I can't seem to get them to work. I unplugged them and only had one running to see if I could find some drivers or a program to allow the drivers to work together. But what am I doing wrong. It worked on my old graphics cards. :l
August 15, 2012 7:00:50 PM

Nevermind, workin' out perfectly now. Both graphics cards are being read and they're both running in the device manager. Perfect, time to get all nerdy on some games. :p 
!