PC Suite & idiot user

I am that idiot user. Please help. I have installed pc suite 5.8. My
6610i is connected to a DKU-5 cable. When I try to select my phone, it
says "no phone connected". Where am I going wrong?
Idiot
5 answers Last reply
More about suite idiot user

    "Jonny" <primrosehill@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    > I am that idiot user. Please help. I have installed pc suite 5.8. My
    > 6610i is connected to a DKU-5 cable. When I try to select my phone, it
    > says "no phone connected". Where am I going wrong?
    > Idiot

    Not sure what PC operating system you are using, but, try going to:

    Settings
    Control Panel
    Nokia Connection Manager

    If your phone is connected via USB, which I suspect it is, (DKU-5), then the
    fourth icon should be light, like a fork, coming from a ball, and the Phone
    "box" should same the name of your phone....if that does not show up, then
    try pressing the fork button, and the ok button, until it shows correctly.

    good luck
    neil

    "Jonny" <primrosehill@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    >I am that idiot user. Please help. I have installed pc suite 5.8. My
    > 6610i is connected to a DKU-5 cable. When I try to select my phone, it
    > says "no phone connected". Where am I going wrong?
    > Idiot

    Obvious, but have you borrowed another cable and tried that? Or used your
    cable on someone else's phone?

    Rule 1 with technology - have the same set up as your friends so you can
    swap parts when it inevitably goes wrong.

    Aardvark

    "rachel" <rachelisadog@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<cle19m$7i6$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>...
    > "Jonny" <primrosehill@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    > > I am that idiot user. Please help. I have installed pc suite 5.8. My
    > > 6610i is connected to a DKU-5 cable. When I try to select my phone, it
    > > says "no phone connected". Where am I going wrong?
    > > Idiot
    >
    > Not sure what PC operating system you are using, but, try going to:
    >
    > Settings
    > Control Panel
    > Nokia Connection Manager
    >
    > If your phone is connected via USB, which I suspect it is, (DKU-5), then the
    > fourth icon should be light, like a fork, coming from a ball, and the Phone
    > "box" should same the name of your phone....if that does not show up, then
    > try pressing the fork button, and the ok button, until it shows correctly.
    >
    > good luck
    > neil

    Actually, with a DKU-5 cable it appears in Connection MAnager as a
    serial connection, rather than USB (at least mine does) so if you are
    having probs connecting, try the serial connection instead (remember
    that a DKU-5 cable is essentially a USB-serial converter). Also check
    in Control Panel/System/Hardware Manager that you are using the
    correct COM port - you want the one that says it's connected to the
    USB/Serial Converter.

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:00:48 +0000 (UTC), "HD" <NoKilling@Peace.com>
    wrote:

    >"Jonny" <primrosehill@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    >>I am that idiot user. Please help. I have installed pc suite 5.8. My
    >> 6610i is connected to a DKU-5 cable. When I try to select my phone, it
    >> says "no phone connected". Where am I going wrong?
    >> Idiot
    >

    >Obvious, but have you borrowed another cable and tried that? Or used your
    >cable on someone else's phone?
    >
    >Rule 1 with technology - have the same set up as your friends so you can
    >swap parts when it inevitably goes wrong.
    >
    >Aardvark

    Thanks to you and Rachel for suggestions.
    Jonny

    Run driver setup for DKU-5 cable BEFORE connecting cable to USB port. If you
    have connected the cable before installing driver software, you have use
    Windows Device Manager to remove partly installed driver. When you attach
    the cable, you have to wait for a while until system identifies the cable
    and runs the second part of the driver installation.

    DKU-5 cable driver creates a virtual serial port that should be selected
    with PC Suite's Connection Manager (choose serial media and press Configure
    button). DKU-2 is the only cable that requires USB media to be turned on in
    Connection Manager.

    Nokia PC Suite FAQ:
    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,54697,00.html

    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:00:48 +0000 (UTC), "HD" <NoKilling@Peace.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Jonny" <primrosehill@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    > >>I am that idiot user. Please help. I have installed pc suite 5.8. My
    > >> 6610i is connected to a DKU-5 cable. When I try to select my phone, it
    > >> says "no phone connected". Where am I going wrong?
    > >> Idiot
    > >

    > >Obvious, but have you borrowed another cable and tried that? Or used
    your
    > >cable on someone else's phone?
    > >
    > >Rule 1 with technology - have the same set up as your friends so you can
    > >swap parts when it inevitably goes wrong.
    > >
    > >Aardvark
    > >
    > Thanks to you and Rachel for suggestions.
    > Jonny

    ---

Nokia Phones Cable