PC Suite & idiot user

Last response: in Brands
October 23, 2004 9:24:28 PM

I am that idiot user. Please help. I have installed pc suite 5.8. My
6610i is connected to a DKU-5 cable. When I try to select my phone, it
says "no phone connected". Where am I going wrong?
Idiot

More about : suite idiot user

October 23, 2004 9:36:07 PM

"Jonny" <primrosehill@freeuk.com> wrote in message
> I am that idiot user. Please help. I have installed pc suite 5.8. My
> 6610i is connected to a DKU-5 cable. When I try to select my phone, it
> says "no phone connected". Where am I going wrong?
> Idiot

Not sure what PC operating system you are using, but, try going to:

Settings
Control Panel
Nokia Connection Manager

If your phone is connected via USB, which I suspect it is, (DKU-5), then the
fourth icon should be light, like a fork, coming from a ball, and the Phone
"box" should same the name of your phone....if that does not show up, then
try pressing the fork button, and the ok button, until it shows correctly.

good luck
neil
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 1:00:48 PM

"Jonny" <primrosehill@freeuk.com> wrote in message
>I am that idiot user. Please help. I have installed pc suite 5.8. My
> 6610i is connected to a DKU-5 cable. When I try to select my phone, it
> says "no phone connected". Where am I going wrong?
> Idiot

Obvious, but have you borrowed another cable and tried that? Or used your
cable on someone else's phone?

Rule 1 with technology - have the same set up as your friends so you can
swap parts when it inevitably goes wrong.

Aardvark
October 25, 2004 9:27:37 PM

"rachel" <rachelisadog@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<cle19m$7i6$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> "Jonny" <primrosehill@freeuk.com> wrote in message
> > I am that idiot user. Please help. I have installed pc suite 5.8. My
> > 6610i is connected to a DKU-5 cable. When I try to select my phone, it
> > says "no phone connected". Where am I going wrong?
> > Idiot
>
> Not sure what PC operating system you are using, but, try going to:
>
> Settings
> Control Panel
> Nokia Connection Manager
>
> If your phone is connected via USB, which I suspect it is, (DKU-5), then the
> fourth icon should be light, like a fork, coming from a ball, and the Phone
> "box" should same the name of your phone....if that does not show up, then
> try pressing the fork button, and the ok button, until it shows correctly.
>
> good luck
> neil

Actually, with a DKU-5 cable it appears in Connection MAnager as a
serial connection, rather than USB (at least mine does) so if you are
having probs connecting, try the serial connection instead (remember
that a DKU-5 cable is essentially a USB-serial converter). Also check
in Control Panel/System/Hardware Manager that you are using the
correct COM port - you want the one that says it's connected to the
USB/Serial Converter.
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 10:09:54 PM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:00:48 +0000 (UTC), "HD" <NoKilling@Peace.com>
wrote:

>"Jonny" <primrosehill@freeuk.com> wrote in message
>>I am that idiot user. Please help. I have installed pc suite 5.8. My
>> 6610i is connected to a DKU-5 cable. When I try to select my phone, it
>> says "no phone connected". Where am I going wrong?
>> Idiot
>

>Obvious, but have you borrowed another cable and tried that? Or used your
>cable on someone else's phone?
>
>Rule 1 with technology - have the same set up as your friends so you can
>swap parts when it inevitably goes wrong.
>
>Aardvark

Thanks to you and Rachel for suggestions.
Jonny
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 2:31:30 AM

Run driver setup for DKU-5 cable BEFORE connecting cable to USB port. If you
have connected the cable before installing driver software, you have use
Windows Device Manager to remove partly installed driver. When you attach
the cable, you have to wait for a while until system identifies the cable
and runs the second part of the driver installation.

DKU-5 cable driver creates a virtual serial port that should be selected
with PC Suite's Connection Manager (choose serial media and press Configure
button). DKU-2 is the only cable that requires USB media to be turned on in
Connection Manager.

Nokia PC Suite FAQ:
http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,54697,00.html

> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:00:48 +0000 (UTC), "HD" <NoKilling@Peace.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"Jonny" <primrosehill@freeuk.com> wrote in message
> >>I am that idiot user. Please help. I have installed pc suite 5.8. My
> >> 6610i is connected to a DKU-5 cable. When I try to select my phone, it
> >> says "no phone connected". Where am I going wrong?
> >> Idiot
> >

> >Obvious, but have you borrowed another cable and tried that? Or used
your
> >cable on someone else's phone?
> >
> >Rule 1 with technology - have the same set up as your friends so you can
> >swap parts when it inevitably goes wrong.
> >
> >Aardvark
> >
> Thanks to you and Rachel for suggestions.
> Jonny

---