Closed

Disabling Autoplay on Win XP SP2

How do disable autoplay once and for all? I have tried telling XP not to take any actions when
I insert a CD or flash card or turn on a USB drive, but XP always scans the drive, as if it is
looking for some file/content-type that it can ask about.

I don't want XP to do ANYTHING with ANY type of media. Ever. How do I do this?
9 answers Last reply
More about disabling autoplay

    http://www.google.com/search?q=tweakui+disable+autoplay
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/cd_autoplay_home.htm
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/cd_autoplay_pro.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    <NukeGuy65@aol.com.valid> wrote in message
    > How do disable autoplay once and for all? I have tried telling XP not to
    > take any actions when
    > I insert a CD or flash card or turn on a USB drive, but XP always scans
    > the drive, as if it is
    > looking for some file/content-type that it can ask about.
    >
    > I don't want XP to do ANYTHING with ANY type of media. Ever. How do I do
    > this?

  2. No need to use other software. Go to Start and Run, type in gpedit.msc and press enter. After you are there go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System. Under the System level, you will see an option as Turn off Autoplay. Enable it.
  3. Tweak UI powertoy is the best and easiest way. Does a lot more as well. Download from microsoft.
  4. You are gonna wanna right click the drive that you want to disable autoplay in Windows Explorer. Navigate to the autoplay tab.. and disable it!
  5. To Codesmith: "Does a lot more" is exactly what I don't like... I found a better solution to disable autoplay (also works with XP Home).
  6. Actually, the most serious reason to be careful about TweakUI is that Windows Registry control is such a muddle: TweakUI operates at the level of HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_USER..(whichever user happens to be current at time of invocation). But if Disable Autoplay is also set via gpedit.msc, then it sets a GPO under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and also changes the value of NoDriveTypeAutoRun under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - both of which override the setting of TweakUI. So in a nutshell, the moral is: don't trust it [or don't trust Windows?].
  7. I tried to find a way how to disable autoplay) editing registry, but I only make mess in my system. Then friend told me about tool called Autoplay disabler pro (http://www.autoplaydisabler.us) which is really simple to use, even for non experienced users like me :D and the best of all, it works :)
  8. You can always hold down the shift key when inserting a disk. This bypasses autoplay.
  9. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened