Closed

Disabling Autoplay on Win XP SP2

September 21, 2005 12:51:10 AM

How do disable autoplay once and for all? I have tried telling XP not to take any actions when
I insert a CD or flash card or turn on a USB drive, but XP always scans the drive, as if it is
looking for some file/content-type that it can ask about.

I don't want XP to do ANYTHING with ANY type of media. Ever. How do I do this?
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 3:41:33 PM

http://www.google.com/search?q=tweakui+disable+autoplay
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/cd_autoplay_home.htm
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/cd_autoplay_pro.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

<NukeGuy65@aol.com.valid> wrote in message
> How do disable autoplay once and for all? I have tried telling XP not to
> take any actions when
> I insert a CD or flash card or turn on a USB drive, but XP always scans
> the drive, as if it is
> looking for some file/content-type that it can ask about.
>
> I don't want XP to do ANYTHING with ANY type of media. Ever. How do I do
> this?

March 12, 2006 1:50:48 PM

No need to use other software. Go to Start and Run, type in gpedit.msc and press enter. After you are there go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System. Under the System level, you will see an option as Turn off Autoplay. Enable it.
Related resources
May 15, 2006 7:35:07 PM

Tweak UI powertoy is the best and easiest way. Does a lot more as well. Download from microsoft.
November 13, 2006 2:40:18 AM

You are gonna wanna right click the drive that you want to disable autoplay in Windows Explorer. Navigate to the autoplay tab.. and disable it!
Anonymous
August 26, 2009 9:53:35 PM

To Codesmith: "Does a lot more" is exactly what I don't like... I found a better solution to disable autoplay (also works with XP Home).
March 5, 2010 6:35:48 PM

Actually, the most serious reason to be careful about TweakUI is that Windows Registry control is such a muddle: TweakUI operates at the level of HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_USER..(whichever user happens to be current at time of invocation). But if Disable Autoplay is also set via gpedit.msc, then it sets a GPO under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and also changes the value of NoDriveTypeAutoRun under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - both of which override the setting of TweakUI. So in a nutshell, the moral is: don't trust it [or don't trust Windows?].
September 15, 2011 10:32:56 AM

I tried to find a way how to disable autoplay) editing registry, but I only make mess in my system. Then friend told me about tool called Autoplay disabler pro (http://www.autoplaydisabler.us) which is really simple to use, even for non experienced users like me :D  and the best of all, it works :)

September 15, 2011 12:01:44 PM

You can always hold down the shift key when inserting a disk. This bypasses autoplay.
September 17, 2011 7:02:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!