Need new PSU for Dell e521

siddowens123

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Hi All,

Just joined, but have been reading up on the website for a while.

Anyways, I have a problem.

I need a new PSU for my Dell Dimension E521. The generic Dell 305watt will not suffice after I have upgraded the CPU to the AMD x2 6000+ 89watt @ 3.00Ghz, 4 @ 1 GB sticks of RAM, 6 USB peripherals, and a Radeon 7750 video card. I also have 2 hard drives (1@ SATA 2, 1@ SATA 1.0), 2 DVD RWs, and a memory card reader I may or may not add 2@ PCI cards, and an old IDE Hard drive as well.

So: From what I can tell, I need a Modular (this tower is pretty small with all the hardware in there) 500 watt PSU (based off of eXtreme Power Supply Calculator).

I thought I would be ok with an old Antec True430 watt i got from work for free today, but it wouldn't even plug into the motherboard. :cry:

Given the hardware I have and will have, do you have any recommendations as to a good Bronze certified 500watt PSU that has all the connections I need? I don't want to spend more than $100.00

What is the issue that the Antec will not plug into the mobo? I am unaware of anything prohibiting a (<7 yr old) PSU from fitting in there (older than that, I'd suggest replacement anyway).
Recommending a PSU isn't an issue, I'm curious as to why the Antec isn't plugging in since I believe it should

siddowens123

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

The problem is the Antec430 has a 20 pin connector and the mobo has a 24 pin ( i think) required. Or maybe its the other way around?

Also I think the mobo needs a -5v connector which I'm pretty sure the Antec430 didn't have.
Sorry, I was doing this last night and can't quite remember. I was trying to get it to fit for an hour or so though.

Either way, it doesn't fit. It's also not modular, and has a lot of extra wires I probably won't need.

This gave me an idea though, do they make adapters for a 20 pin to 20+4 pin connector? or a 24 pin to 20 pin adapter?

The other problem is the Antec430 doesn't have SATA power connections, only those 4 pin molex ones.
Again, maybe they have adapters for those too!

Okay, I was thinking it was a little newer than that design.
Here are four decent options
SeaSonic SSR-450RM $88 Best IMO
XFX ProSeries P1-450S-X2B9 450W $70 Very Good
Rosewill CAPSTONE 450 $68 Very Good
CORSAIR CX430M $53 Good
Pricing includes shipping. These are all highly rated and should last at least as long as your computer (if not longer). The only modular ones there are the SeaSonic and Corsair.
You might be able to figure, pricing and quality seem to go hand in hand. One other thing to note is that I looked at PSU's with your system in mind, if looking to possibly upgrade later (like to a HD7970), you may want to look at slightly higher wattage units
Hope it helps

siddowens123

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Yea I think you are right, a 600watt might be in order because I want to be able to use it in my next rig. This e521 computer was my test unit to see if I can actually upgrade components by myself and have it still work. I wasn't going to be too pissed if the thing blew up on me lol.

Anyways, I need some help finding a 600-700 watt bronze certified modular psu that has 2 PCIe connections (6+2), a 20+4 mobo connection, 4-6 SATA power connections, and possibly 2 to 4 legacy (IDE power) connections (if they even make those anymore).

Know of anything?

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!!