What power supply wattage to get?

Hello,
I am wondering what power supply wattage to get. It is my first time building a computer. My specs are as follows:

Intel i7 3770k cpu
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H mobo
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EZEX 64MB 1TB hdd
Lite-On iHES212 cd drive
Kingston HyperX DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 4GB (KHX1600C9D3/4G) x2 (may get more) ram
16 answers Last reply
More about what power supply wattage
  1. What is the purpose of this build?

Also, PSU rated wattage doesn't matter much. What matters for a PSU is its +12V amperage because that's the power used by the graphics and CPU.
  2. luciferano said:
    What is the purpose of this build?

Also, PSU rated wattage doesn't matter much. What matters for a PSU is its +12V amperage because that's the power used by the graphics and CPU.

it for video editing and a bit of gaming
  3. elo_86 said:
    it for video editing and a bit of gaming

What graphics are you using and wouldn't a 16GB memory kit be better for video editing?
  4. luciferano said:
    What graphics are you using and wouldn't a 16GB memory kit be better for video editing?

yea i think I may get the 16gb ram but I use the ati hd 5450 card, but I upgrade to better card in future
  5. 16 GB is recommended for i7 CPU's, you should go for 16GB minimum. I would also recommend just a newer graphics card, but not an expensive one. Just enough to get you through and be able to do things, such as a 650 or a 7770.
  6. I'd also like to point out that your choice of RAM runs at 1.65v which puts alot of strain on Intel CPUs and voids your warranty.
  7. excella1221 said:
    I'd also like to point out that your choice of RAM runs at 1.65v which puts alot of strain on Intel CPUs and voids your warranty.

what ram would you recomend?
  8. I don't know where you're from so I'll assume US and use a Newegg link.

For your usage, I would suggest
    G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1600MHz

It's low profile, only 1.5v, and only 2 modules. Just right.
  9. excella1221 said:
    I don't know where you're from so I'll assume US and use a Newegg link.

For your usage, I would suggest
    G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1600MHz

It's low profile, only 1.5v, and only 2 modules. Just right.

not sold in my country! damn! could you recomened a different ram please
  10. elo_86 said:
    not sold in my country! damn! could you recomened a different ram please

it helps to know what country you are at . . .
  11. Anonymous said:
    it helps to know what country you are at . . .

new zealand, here use this website: pricespy.co.nz
  12. You can use amazon, ram doesn't cost much to post, I believe I got my ram off Amazon for a good deal. and Im from AU
  13. what about this ram: http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1221001
    or should I go with corsiar vengence?
  14. Can you chose the graphics card that you want to upgrade to? Without knowing it, a PSU recommendation isn't easy. Or, you could give us a set amount of wattage to work with for graphics.

For example, 50-100W, 100-150W, 150W-200W, 200-300W, or any other range for a graphics card that you think you'd buy. I recommend either the first or the second, depending on how much gaming performance you want. The third or higher than it is for high-end gaming and you don't seem like you'd want to spend several hundred dollars on a graphics card.

Also, would you mind if we ask what software you'll be using in particular? I'd like to make sure if it is GPGPU acceleration-compatible. If it is, then you might benefit from getting a specific graphics card family more than the others.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Power Supplies Systems Product