Active desktop opens all links in a new browser???

Howdy!

I have a small HTML links page that's just basically a bunch of links. I
used it with my Active Desktop. I haven't used it in a while, but when I
used to click a link, the page would replace the links page on my Active
Desktop.

Now, that I've just added the page to my current Active Desktop all the
links open a new browser window. None of the links have a target specified
and I'm not hold SHIFT when I click the link.

Anyone know why this is happening? Is it a Windows XP SP2 thing? Is it
because I have Firefox installed?

Any help is appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about active desktop opens links browser

    If I use TARGET="_SELF" then the page loads within the Active Desktop, but
    any links on this new page will start a new browser.

    "Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message
    > Howdy!
    >
    > I have a small HTML links page that's just basically a bunch of links. I
    > used it with my Active Desktop. I haven't used it in a while, but when I
    > used to click a link, the page would replace the links page on my Active
    > Desktop.
    >
    > Now, that I've just added the page to my current Active Desktop all the
    > links open a new browser window. None of the links have a target specified
    > and I'm not hold SHIFT when I click the link.
    >
    > Anyone know why this is happening? Is it a Windows XP SP2 thing? Is it
    > because I have Firefox installed?
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

  2. Hi fellas,

    Just thought I'd share this simple trick with ya! To use a desktop web item as a browser (clicking links opens in same desktop item), you have to create a local html file with a single frame that points to your start page. Then, the links you click will open in that frame. Here is my template:

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>Desktop Item</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <FRAMESET cols="100%">
    <FRAME src="your_start_page.html">
    </FRAMESET>
    </HTML>

Configuration Desktops Browsers Customization Windows XP