Lucid Virtu-like features without Z77???

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hi all,

So one of my friends has a Z77 motherboard and is using his Intel HD 4000 graphics through Lucid Virtu on his Z77 for his video rendering / encoding / transcoding. Now I have a B75 motherboard... so obviously its not a Z77... so most probably it won't support Lucid Virtu... but he told me I could take advantage of the integrated graphics of my i3 2100 (HD 2000) for that same feature of Lucid-Virtu (fast rendering / encoding / transcoding).

Now I'm currently running my display off of a Radeon 6850 through the DVI input of my screen (its a budget gaming machine).

His method: Get a VGA cable, connect it to the screen and to the VGA connector on the motherboard. Then simply enable the integrated graphics. Whenever I want to go from gaming to video rendering / encoding / transcoding, simply switch my monitor's display from DVI to D-sub (via the buttons on my screen) and I'm good to go!

So:
1) Is the above stated information correct? Is this method valid? Can I really take advantage of the onboard graphics from my non-Z77 motherboard?
2) Would any problems arise?
3) I'm trying to do this right now... but from some reason, in Device Manager > Display Adapter, I can only see my Radeon 6850, there is no icon for the integrated graphics indicating it is disabled... uninstalled maybe? Just requires driver installation?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks

G

if you are looking for a cheap way to use quick sync you just need one 75ohm 0.7v resistor
simple-dummy.jpg

if your motherboard does not have a dvi output then you need three to simulate a vga connection
vga_dummy.gif

a side view when using a dvi/vga adapter:
DummyPlug004-1.jpg

links where the images are from:
http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=11
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?200444-DVI-to-VGA-Dummy.....56K!

now on a side note, i used virtu on my motherboard since the H67 supports it, though not licensed. you can see if your B75 supports it but i didn't find anything overly exciting about it and deleted the trial version. (and i have an old CRT hooked up anyhow)

also you will not be able to use your onboard graphics until you have a monitor (simulated or not) connected to it.

ammyt

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Neither Nvidia CUDA, nor AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing is remotely a match for Intel Quicksync, if you call reducing time taken to transcode a video by at least 2 times a feature, then the HD graphics definitely have that feature.