Sign in with
Your question

ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 and HD598 want to know a few things

Last response: in Components
February 20, 2013 12:49:55 AM

I am new with these purchases. I have a few questions, I am just looking to educate myself so bare with me. By the way the Headphones are great no complaints I plug them in and its heaven. I have a lil 2 speaker Logitech combination that I use for my wife cause she hates headphones when she is on the computer. So I plugged the Logitech 2 speakers to the sound card and my HD598's through the jack on the Logitech 2 speakers. Im wondering if Im messing up the sound quality by plugging the headphones into the Logitech instead of plugging it directly into the sound card? If that's the case should I invest in a jack splitter 3.5mm so I can just have them both plugged in the card at once? I really don't want to have to unplug one and plug in another for the best sound every time.
February 20, 2013 1:36:02 AM

no u can plug in headphones tru speakers ive done it all the time.

yes u can invest ina splitter ive got one and cost 15$

m
l
February 20, 2013 1:43:00 AM

I forgot to ask also is it true to always disable motherboard audio when you have a sound card?
m
l
Related resources
February 20, 2013 1:45:00 AM

yes. by simply going in options and disabling onboard sound :) 
m
l
February 20, 2013 2:26:32 AM

Does the splitter equal a loss in quality?
m
l
February 20, 2013 2:44:59 AM

no. works great

m
l
February 20, 2013 10:53:38 AM

NewbiePcgamer84 said:
I forgot to ask also is it true to always disable motherboard audio when you have a sound card?

You don't HAVE to; I keep my onboard on just so I have a secondary set of output jacks. The reason its "recommended" is because Creative soundcards, for years, didn't play nice if they weren't the only soundcard installed.

As for plugging into the speakers, don't. You lose a ton of quality that way. A splitter is an OK solution, just note you'll have to manually turn the volume down on which device you aren't working. You could do something along the lines of plugging the headset into the soundcard and speakers into onboard, and just switch the active device on the fly, but that might be a bit much.

The only other option would be a soundcard with both a stereo output and a dedicated headphone jack (ASUS Xonar DGX, Xense, and Phoebus come to mind), so you can have both speakers and headphones plugged into the soundcard at the same time, and use the Xonar Control Panel to switch the outputs [thats how I have my Xense set up].

So you have options.
m
l
February 20, 2013 11:05:18 AM

NewbiePcgamer84 said:
Does the splitter equal a loss in quality?

Err it can, it would change the ohm rating of the headphone circuit. If driving multiple high end headphones it is possible to overload the output amp as well. The majority of people couldn't tell the difference though so it all depends just how much of an audiophile you are
m
l
February 20, 2013 1:19:47 PM

well depends the quality of the splitter i got a 14-20$ splitter and im an audiophile and doesnt sound half bad.

m
l
February 20, 2013 1:20:08 PM

^^ Didn't even consider that; the 598's are rated at 50 Ohms, so throwing in a splitter might be just enough to cause some degregation.
m
l
February 20, 2013 1:21:15 PM

i cant compete with the audio guru. darn

:)  whatsup gamerk

m
l
February 20, 2013 4:18:34 PM

"Self-Appointed". :D 
m
l
February 21, 2013 12:51:05 AM

So I tried the through the speaker test and It did have a weird humming noise when nothing was being played. Then I tried My front panel. I didn't realize the sound card had a setting to make that work off of the sound card. So now no humming and the 598 's sounds just as clear and crisp as when I plugged it directly into the sound card. So should I keep plugging them into the front panel or should I just activate my motherboard sound and plug the logitech speakers into my motherboard and keep the 598's plugged into the sound card?
m
l
February 21, 2013 12:51:20 AM

So I tried the through the speaker test and It did have a weird humming noise when nothing was being played. Then I tried My front panel. I didn't realize the sound card had a setting to make that work off of the sound card. So now no humming and the 598 's sounds just as clear and crisp as when I plugged it directly into the sound card. So should I keep plugging them into the front panel or should I just activate my motherboard sound and plug the logitech speakers into my motherboard and keep the 598's plugged into the sound card?
m
l
!