CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3zs1ckn3ss

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Okay. This question has been asked millions of time but I figured I would go over what my primary usage habits are. Currently I am running a 3570k with 16GB of 1600 RAM and a 7950 Radeon. Here are my primary appications in use:

VMware running multiple operating systems for school and home.

1080p Media also streaming to my living room LCD (a lot of times when I'm currently working on my desktop and my GF or kids want to watch something that I've downloaded).

Minor video editing.

Gaming at 1920x1080 where I prefer at LEAST 60 FPS as there are a few games I play that are actually CPU intensive and seems to be a bottleneck for my 7950 even when 3570k is OC'd to 4.8GHz.

Data transfers back and forth between all devices (mainly all of my computers on my home network).

I have looked at the 3770k yet I know that this is the end of the line for the 1155 socket and would like to have a path for upgrade within the next year or so.
The 4770k doesn't seem like it's going to be a major improvement in terms of speed.
The 3820 looks to be good enough for now as I understand that the Ivy Bridge-E will "eventually" have a release by the end of this year. I'm so torn as I've been adding and removing items from my shopping cart. So right now it's a matter of going with the extra threads on the 3770k, wait for the Haswell procs or jump to the 2011 platform with the 3820 for a starting CPU.

Solution
the 3770k wouldn't be too much of an upgrade and would prove to have a very bad increase of performance for the price you pay compared to the performance you got now.

i5-3570k should be MORE than sufficient at handling Radeon 7950 and with that overclock it's even more sufficient. It's pretty obvious if you run 1000 things at a time while gaming that you will expierence slow framerate.

I use a GTX 670 which is more powerful than the Radeon 7950 and I only use an i5-3570 running on stocks speeds and I never see CPU usage of 100% in gaming, which means the CPU isn't bottlenecking. The only thing holding you back in gaming, if you don't use your CPU power for all kinds of other things than gaming, is your GPU.

You can monitor your...
the 3770k wouldn't be too much of an upgrade and would prove to have a very bad increase of performance for the price you pay compared to the performance you got now.

i5-3570k should be MORE than sufficient at handling Radeon 7950 and with that overclock it's even more sufficient. It's pretty obvious if you run 1000 things at a time while gaming that you will expierence slow framerate.

I use a GTX 670 which is more powerful than the Radeon 7950 and I only use an i5-3570 running on stocks speeds and I never see CPU usage of 100% in gaming, which means the CPU isn't bottlenecking. The only thing holding you back in gaming, if you don't use your CPU power for all kinds of other things than gaming, is your GPU.

You can monitor your CPU usage, GPU usage, RAM usage, clock speeds - Everything on screen if you follow this guide and then you can tell if it's your CPU or your GPU that is the current problem - http://www.overclock.net/t/1229915/how-to-cpu-and-gpu-usage-along-with-fps-in-game.

Solution

r3zs1ckn3ss

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Well if heat problems are an issue, I have experienced temps of around 60's to mid 70's ranges. I had to zip tie my cathodes because the heat made the sticky side of the velco used to mount it became more sappy and it fell off. I ordered a 120mm bay converter just so I could have another 120mm fan in front pulling out air. The top fan os a 180mm low rpm fan and sucks at pulling air in let alone used an exhaust. I'm usually gaming when this happens. More so when I play Tera. Multiple VM's cause studder if I'm running more than 1 virtual OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.