Sign in with
Your question

I7-3635QM lagging horribly?

Last response: in CPUs
February 20, 2013 2:23:42 AM

I recently bought a laptop (Samsung NP700Z5C-S02UB) with an i7 3635QM processor, and I've been getting terrible performance in CPU-heavy games such as Planetside 2 and ArmA 2. I'm pretty sure it's the CPU that's bottlenecking, for three reasons:
1. The laptop has a 640m, which I've played these games with before and had no trouble.
2. Framerates don't improve at all when I change graphics settings, suggesting GPU doesn't have much to do with it.
3. One game (planetside 2) says specifically that the CPU is the bottlenecker 100% of the time.
I ran passmark to get a quick bench to see if the thing was malfunctioning, and it scored 6200, which is higher than the first-gen i7 my friend has that plays these games pretty well. I'm sure there's no throttling going on, as all 8 threads were at 3.2ghz under 100% load during a Prime95 test. My BIOS is up to date, and it will not let me turn off hyperthreading so I can't tell if that's causing any issues.

I don't seem to understand why this chip performs so much worse than the 3610qm that I've used before. I've heard something about this being a BGA chip, meaning it's soldered to the motherboard, but I don't see how that could degrade performance. Any help would be appreciated.
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2013 6:00:06 AM

zander_2 said:
I recently bought a laptop (Samsung NP700Z5C-S02UB) with an i7 3635QM processor, and I've been getting terrible performance in CPU-heavy games such as Planetside 2 and ArmA 2. I'm pretty sure it's the CPU that's bottlenecking, for three reasons:
1. The laptop has a 640m, which I've played these games with before and had no trouble.
2. Framerates don't improve at all when I change graphics settings, suggesting GPU doesn't have much to do with it.
3. One game (planetside 2) says specifically that the CPU is the bottlenecker 100% of the time.
I ran passmark to get a quick bench to see if the thing was malfunctioning, and it scored 6200, which is higher than the first-gen i7 my friend has that plays these games pretty well. I'm sure there's no throttling going on, as all 8 threads were at 3.2ghz under 100% load during a Prime95 test. My BIOS is up to date, and it will not let me turn off hyperthreading so I can't tell if that's causing any issues.

I don't seem to understand why this chip performs so much worse than the 3610qm that I've used before. I've heard something about this being a BGA chip, meaning it's soldered to the motherboard, but I don't see how that could degrade performance. Any help would be appreciated.

It's the GPU, it's really slow. You can try to download HWINFO64 and you can watch usage of GPU and CPU and I'm sure you'll see that your GPU is the one in your way. The CPU will never run at 100% while gaming, while the GPU will.
m
l
February 20, 2013 9:28:53 PM

Me and a buddy bought a pair of these laptops at best buy a few weeks ago and experience the same issue in planetside. I ran gpu-z during some planetside gameplay and the gpu never clocks past 405mhz core and peaks around 15% load, leading me to believe it is only being used for physics. Optimus has issues with a few games. The two i noticed have been tera and planetside.

Calling a 640m slow is plain ignorant though, I can play bf3 on high at 1600x900. I wouldn't call that "slow" for a laptop. The only faster video cards available from nvida are the 670,675, and 680. The 660m is the EXACT same card, with higher clocks, and anyone posting on Tom's should know how to oc their 640m well past 660m clocks anyhow.

As far as the i7-3635qm goes, it is again one of the fastest cpus you can get in a laptop today. Only a few are clocked higher.
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2013 1:57:33 AM

Sayno said:
Me and a buddy bought a pair of these laptops at best buy a few weeks ago and experience the same issue in planetside. I ran gpu-z during some planetside gameplay and the gpu never clocks past 405mhz core and peaks around 15% load, leading me to believe it is only being used for physics. Optimus has issues with a few games. The two i noticed have been tera and planetside.

Calling a 640m slow is plain ignorant though, I can play bf3 on high at 1600x900. I wouldn't call that "slow" for a laptop. The only faster video cards available from nvida are the 670,675, and 680. The 660m is the EXACT same card, with higher clocks, and anyone posting on Tom's should know how to oc their 640m well past 660m clocks anyhow.

As far as the i7-3635qm goes, it is again one of the fastest cpus you can get in a laptop today. Only a few are clocked higher.

Well, I believe your GPU problem might come from running games with the HD4000, because my GPU runs at 700mhz and 100% load in GPU-heavy games, so it's not defective or anything. I have no issues with GPU, I swear.
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:10:31 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
It's the GPU, it's really slow. You can try to download HWINFO64 and you can watch usage of GPU and CPU and I'm sure you'll see that your GPU is the one in your way. The CPU will never run at 100% while gaming, while the GPU will.

Interestingly, my GPU works fine in games that are GPU-dependant. I've used a 640m before, on a laptop with a 3610QM, and it worked just fine. When I used that program in a GPU-intensive game, sure enough, the CPU hovered around 40% and the GPU hovered around 100%. Makes sense. When I switched to a CPU-intensive game (Planetside), however, both hovered around 50%. I'm not sure why this is, but the game has a built-in feature that tells you what the bottleneck is, and it says CPU, even though it's nowhere near 100% load. I promise you, the GPU is not a problem, but the CPU seems to be acting weird in Planetside. Maybe it's just the game?
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
February 21, 2013 9:30:36 AM

I read somewhere that planetside 2 runs better with hyperthreading disabled, worth a try if the bios has the option.
m
l
July 1, 2013 4:12:03 PM

I have same machine & you have to right click on the desktop launch icons & select which GPU to use I.e. CPU embedded HD 4000 or high performance GT 640M. For the majority of games I believe that the default is the Intel HD 4000. You can change the default GPU for individual games in nvidia control panel.

m
l
August 27, 2013 7:18:10 AM

Signed up to post that I have a similar model (NP700Z5C) and I notice that it is RIDICULOUSLY slow. Not just in games. I ran some tests and it performs near processors almost 3 years older than it. Considering I dropped a fat grand on this computer what the fuck is going on? I can barely run games that came out 2 years ago. I have to make the resolution less than high definition and far less than the built in screen size. Seriously upset here. I got it around black friday 2012 and I have basically resigned myself to the fact that this computer is a lemon.

Sorry to bring back a dead topic
m
l
!