Repartitioning a HD with XP

I have just purchased a new PC with a 250Gb HD. Unfortunately it is
partitioned as follows C: 50% D: 40% and E: is 10%. Giving me about 110Gb
for my C:.
For my expected use 20-30GB would seem ample for C: to hold my expected
program and system files and I would rather keep the balance in D: for data
file use etc.
Does my preference seem reasonable and is there cheap or better, free
software to repartition the HD?
TIA
Peter S.

Boot off your XP CD and let the Windows setup start and choose to
install Windows, if I recall correctly the screen after the "press F8
to agree....." will give you the option as to where to install Windows,
choose to delete the existing partition then create a single partion
for the C: drive of the size you want leaving the rest of the space
unpartitioned. Install Windows etc.

If you have a SATA drive ensure you have the windows drivers handy -
check your documentation for details.

Once windows is installed and running you can use the Disk managment
feature under Computer Management in the Administrative tools control
panel to partition the unused space as you wish.

WARNING! WARNING! doing the above will delete ALL the data on your
computer so make backups of your important stuff.

Seth John

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Try this free software to repartition your hard disk without data loss and reinstall the OS http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm#