Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Point me in the right direction please

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 7, 2012 5:17:43 AM

Hi I am toying with the idea of building a gaming pc for the first time. My current rig is starting to show its age.

Mobo: P5QL PRO
Ram: 4gb generic 800mhz?
GPU: GTX 285
CPU: Q8200 quad @2.33ghz
OS: Vista home premium 32bit
HDD: Unsure but guessing pretty basic (can find out if necessary or relevant)

I have a vague idea of components I would like to include.

Ram: 8gb (possibly more, dependant on feedback) Crucial or other leading brand
GPU: GTX 560 Ti or 580 (again open to better suggestions provided price isn't a huge leap)
CPU: i5 (unsure of which one though)
OS: Windows 7 64bit

I read the "read this first" posts on the forum so have some reading to do. However I would still appreciate some advice on an appropriate PSU, hard drive/solid state drive, cooling and motherboard. I will be using this pc almost exclusively for gaming with a bit of internet browsing and mabye the odd movie.

But my largest problem is I have never built a system before. Am I going to have to do a lot of tinkering with the bios etc? Because if it is going to be too complicated I may have to abandon the idea and buy a pre built system (much more expensive, I know). Can someone direct me to a good guide about building a system, putting it together and actually getting it up and running?

More about : point direction

October 7, 2012 5:40:24 AM

Hello there,

It's pretty exciting to build a new computer for the first time. I just did this myself a few days ago.

Before you get started, I'd definitely recommend reading up about how to do it. There are a few articles around on the internet, but here's a great video series from Newegg TV: http://www.youtube.com/results?hl=en&sugexp=les%3Bcesh&...

It goes through the basics in pretty good detail and walks you through what you need to do to put your build together.

As you will see, it really isn't that complicated to build your own computer. I did it for the first time and it went off without a hitch. The tinkering in the BIOS is for people who want to overclock and do other fancy things that you can do, but don't need to to get a basic system up and running.

As for the parts, this depends primarily on your budget, amongst other things. If you have a set budget, then post it and we can give you some feedback based on that.

Also, a great resource to help you compare builds and get the best prices is PC Part Picker: http://pcpartpicker.com/

Good luck, and feel free to post if you have more questions
October 7, 2012 5:49:12 AM

evilqueens said:
Hello there,

It's pretty exciting to build a new computer for the first time. I just did this myself a few days ago.

Before you get started, I'd definitely recommend reading up about how to do it. There are a few articles around on the internet, but here's a great video series from Newegg TV: http://www.youtube.com/results?hl=en&sugexp=les%3Bcesh&...

It goes through the basics in pretty good detail and walks you through what you need to do to put your build together.

As you will see, it really isn't that complicated to build your own computer. I did it for the first time and it went off without a hitch. The tinkering in the BIOS is for people who want to overclock and do other fancy things that you can do, but don't need to to get a basic system up and running.

As for the parts, this depends primarily on your budget, amongst other things. If you have a set budget, then post it and we can give you some feedback based on that.

Also, a great resource to help you compare builds and get the best prices is PC Part Picker: http://pcpartpicker.com/

Good luck, and feel free to post if you have more questions

Sorry tried to post a reply saying thanks but I am using my ps3 and the page suddenly jumped so I ended up hitting the submit button instead of scrolling. I should really use my pc for this kind of thing. Now I cant delete my last post doh!
Related resources
October 7, 2012 6:07:59 AM

Napalmhardcore said:
Sorry tried to post a reply saying thanks but I am using my ps3 and the page suddenly jumped so I ended up hitting the submit button instead of scrolling. I should really use my pc for this kind of thing. Now I cant delete my last post doh!


Heh, no problem. Good luck with the build. Check out these forums + other sites too - plenty of information for first time builders. And as always, post if you have questions or want feedback once you have a better idea of your build.
October 7, 2012 6:28:20 AM

hey what is your bugdet for this pc
heres what i would suggest for a pc that can max out all of todays games at 1080p with at least 50 frames

case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
$109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $419.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply $149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 $43.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $134.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K $229.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this is a good video for first time builders its in three parts and this is the link to the first.you should be able to find the other parts in the related videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
October 7, 2012 6:32:17 AM

You can also give us a budget, your location, and parts preference so we can give you a head start. We'll need to know if you're open to overclocking and SLI/Crossfire too.
October 7, 2012 6:55:29 AM

The budget is under consideration depending on bang for buck. I am in the UK and preference wise I would probably lean towards an Intel Nvidia combo unless AMD have something that is undeniably better for the same price (I am not quite sure why but I'm slightly wary about going AMD). I have no experience with overclocking and am nervous about doing something wrong (guess I could get my feet wet with my current system though). And as for Crossfire/SLI I have heard too many reports of issues seems to be more trouble than its worth.
October 7, 2012 7:07:07 AM

Okay... We still need numbers for the budget so we can give you what the best components are for that price range.
October 7, 2012 7:21:01 AM

I might have to save for a while to get it but I think if its gonna last me a while I could probably stretch to about £700/£800
October 7, 2012 7:36:19 AM

How long exactly? If it's a bit far, you might want to wait 'til you get it since prices change fast and so do new technology. The components we suggest now can and will change in the future.
October 7, 2012 7:58:33 AM

Ok lets operate under the assumption I have the money now (sorry I detect I am trying your patience) as I can probably borrow the remainder.
October 7, 2012 8:06:41 AM

No, it's alright. :)  Give me a sec lemme try cooking something up for you.
Here you go,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.88 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£105.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£31.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.03 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£203.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£76.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer (£13.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £727.55
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Some of the components didn't state if shipping was free or not, so I didn't stretch your budget much.
October 7, 2012 8:42:54 AM

Thank you very much. That is an awesome list. I unfortunately have to go out now but before I do can I just ask a couple of questions about the forum? The little thumbs up logo, does that give you rep? And also do I have to close or mark this thread in someway? Unbelievable as it sounds I have been on the internet over a decade and only used a forum twice. Thanks again for all your help.
October 7, 2012 9:16:02 AM

You mean the one on the upper right side of every post? I never really noticed it. I don't think anyone uses it other than on articles.

You need to choose a best answer from one of the posts for your thread to be under "Solved".
October 7, 2012 10:11:46 AM

Crap I think I accidentally posted this as a discussion and not a question. I don't know if there is any to change it. I'm really sorry about this excella if it is any consolation I would have picked your answer as the best. I told you I was a forum noob. Your help is very much appreciated. On that note I really do have to go I am already meant to be somewhere.
October 7, 2012 10:52:12 AM

I think you misunderstood. There's a "Choose as Best Answer" option for every post made in your thread here, and you just choose 1 to be the best answer. :p 

It's alright though, alot of people come here asking for help and never really choose a best answer or they never noticed there ever was a feature like that. It doesn't really matter to me.
October 7, 2012 4:37:51 PM

excella1221 said:
I think you misunderstood. There's a "Choose as Best Answer" option for every post made in your thread here, and you just choose 1 to be the best answer. :p 

It's alright though, alot of people come here asking for help and never really choose a best answer or they never noticed there ever was a feature like that. It doesn't really matter to me.

Hi excella, I'm back. I created a thread previous to this one (asking if people thought I should upgrade my current pc to limp it along a bit longer). There was a choose best answer option on every post in plain site like you said. I am not sure what I did or how I did it but on this thread the option doesn't appear to be there. I definitely have not already selected a best answer also when I look at my post on the "new build" section it has a " symbol instead of a ? symbol. That is why I presumed I had opened a discussion instead of a question. Not sure how to rectify this.
October 8, 2012 3:00:53 AM

Oh it appears there are two kinds of thread types. The thumb up/down option isn't there on other threads I post to.
Oh well. :p 
!