Upgrading XFX 5850, $300-350 Budget

Totalcarnage

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2012
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next couple weeks. Not in a huge rush atm. I just want to make sure I get the right one.

BUDGET RANGE: $300-350 After Rebates. Anything less is obviously a plus.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Arma 2 (DayZ), BF3, WoW, CS:GO, Movies. Also The WarZ and DayZ standalone when they release.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: XFX HD-585X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5850 and Corsair 750TX 750w PSU (4 Years old)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i5-3570k, AsRock Z77 Extreme4, G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB), Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM, HAF 932 Full Tower, Cooler Master Hyper 212 with push/pull

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer XFX cards for ATI but it really doesn't matter too much. As far as Nvidia I don't have any preferences.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, I don't know much about overclocking so I don't really mess with it.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, if my PSU can handle it.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I prefer a card that is going to blow out the back of my case since my current one just blows inside. A card with a lifetime warranty is a huge plus. Future proof is a must. As far as my PSU goes I think it is still in great shape for being 4 years old but I am not sure if it needs to be upgraded as well. My Case, CPU and MOBO were upgraded to the ones listed within that last two weeks. The 7870 and 660 Ti peaked my interest but I would like more knowledgeable opinions. I know the 660 Ti hasn't technically released yet but people have already been able to buy them. Buying a second 5850 is also a possibility.

Solution
With your budget, I would recommend waiting for the GTX660 Ti (should be released within a week). It's right in your budget range, and the reference cooler will have a 'blower' style which will blow hot air right out your case.
With your budget, I would recommend waiting for the GTX660 Ti (should be released within a week). It's right in your budget range, and the reference cooler will have a 'blower' style which will blow hot air right out your case.

Solution
If you shop around you can get a HD7950 for under $350, which would be exellent for 1920x1080. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150590 $329.99 after rebate($349.99 reg) I have actually seen this card for less on other sites. ;)

Waiting a week probally wouldn't be a bad idea though, like the previous poster said. If the 660ti comes out in a week's time you may see prices drop on more expensive cards, like the GTX670/HD7950/HD7970. All of these cards are around the $350-450 range on reference models. Or maybe the 660ti will be at 299.99 and be right on top of the 7950/670's performance so you could save even more money.

timbo1130

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
You can get the amazing hd 7970 for 429.99-70.00 instant savings with discount code: dcz69391 from tiger direct for a total of $359.99
I know thats slightly above your stated budget but it also comes with the new sonic game duses ex human revolution and 2 other games i am not familiar with. It is a rear exhaust non overclocked non ghz edition but its a killer gpu for the price. Tiger Direct:

VisionTek Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 Video Card and ATI Technologies DiRT Showdown- Deus Ex- Nexuiz and ATI Technologies Download Coupon Sonic Generations Bundle

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3499047&csid=_22

There is not a better card available with in $50 dollars or more and handily beats everything in its price range and cheaper.

^GREAT value for how powerful that card is. It's a little over OP's budget, but heck, it's worth every penny.

timbo1130

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I thought so. I already have sli gtx 680 SC from EVGA which I bought before the 670's came out and when the hd 7970's were still $550.00 to $580.00 for reference boards. If I had waited till now to upgrade I would be picking up two of these right now I promise.

For this price? Heck yes I bet you would! :lol: This deal is even tempting me! :na:

timbo1130

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I say go for it! Only thing better than getting a new monster video card is A: getting a super model or whatever your perfect 10 is to sleep with you or B getting a monster video card for a great price. It seems to me at least that i will probably never get that super model so the monster card will have to be a consultation prize haha.

Totalcarnage

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2012
Thanks for the feedback so far. I have a couple questions about that specific 7970. I know it is one of the fastest cards on the market right now but I am kinda concerned about the maker. Is VisionTek a good brand? From what I have seen from my own research they seem to be a decent brand. Also how long does the discount code last? Also, it comes with a 36 month warranty and I am wondering if I do decide to purchase this if I should bother with an extended warranty.

timbo1130

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I have had vision Tech cards before and honestly as far as a reference card goes they are just as good as xfx. The awesome xfx double lifetime warranty is gone sadly. if you buy there overpriced black edition card it comes with a standard lifetime warranty but costs an extra 50 dollars. The nvidia cards are 3 yr warranties at most unless you purchase extended warranties as well. EVGA 680 and 670 are 3 yr warranties as well. It is my opinion that if you own a card for 3 yrs and it still works the chances of it going out right after are overwhelmingly low. Extended warranties would not be offered if they did not make the companies money so consider that. plus 3 yrs after the card is purchased a card as fast or faster could be purchased for around 100 bucks meaning the warranty only saved you about 40 to 60 bucks if you use it. I know for me if after 3 or 4 yrs if I still own these 680's and they go out. I would just get some dx 12 or dx 13 cards and be happy but thats my take on it. Seriously though replaceing a 3 yr old or older card on e-bay with a like or better replacement is cheap indeed. i say save your money just buy the card and enjoy the vastly improved performance. I have used a reference hd 7970 they are really great cards.