Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

GPU shuts down when playing games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 15, 2012 11:10:53 PM

I need a solution.
I have a ATI Radeon HD5850. And even with the fan on 100%, which is super loud, and the games settings on low(Alan Wake in this case), it still overheats and shut down.
I have a midtower case right now, with the side opened, but so far it doesn't seem to be good enough. So I need a solution, please.


thank you.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2012 11:34:00 PM

What is your ambient temperature? And is there any dust build up? Lastly, what kind of temperatures are you seeing on your GPU?
Score
0

Best solution

August 15, 2012 11:53:24 PM

I just went through something similar with my two year old 6850. I had moved it my system to a new case, new MB and power supply.

My system was shutting down and sometimes with BSOD. the frequency increaed when I ran games or duel monitor. My fan was working also.


Assuming your Power supply is providing enough powe, check the following

-make sure your GPU is in the recommended PCI slot. Most motherboards have multiple slots the card will fit into and run...but there may be bandwidth issues


I would recommend downloading Z-GPU to monitor the GPU load and temps. Enable to the temp log to review after you reboot.

My temps were around 60c while on idle and up to 80c system would often crash around 80c and always 100c - way too hot. Even had multiple case fans and cpu fan on max to cool system. Once I had the case open with a 3 foot room fan blowing into it.



I ended up buying a 7850. Z-GPU now reports temps at 30-35c under idle and 40-45c under load. I've been able to turn my case fans off and go silent mode with my Zalman CPU fan.

Happy to be cool, quiet and not crashing when playing hardcore in Daiblo 3....
Share
Related resources
August 16, 2012 2:23:42 AM

Shawn720 said:
I just went through something similar with my two year old 6850. I had moved it my system to a new case, new MB and power supply.

My system was shutting down and sometimes with BSOD. the frequency increaed when I ran games or duel monitor. My fan was working also.


Assuming your Power supply is providing enough powe, check the following

-make sure your GPU is in the recommended PCI slot. Most motherboards have multiple slots the card will fit into and run...but there may be bandwidth issues


I would recommend downloading Z-GPU to monitor the GPU load and temps. Enable to the temp log to review after you reboot.

My temps were around 60c while on idle and up to 80c system would often crash around 80c and always 100c - way too hot. Even had multiple case fans and cpu fan on max to cool system. Once I had the case open with a 3 foot room fan blowing into it.



I ended up buying a 7850. Z-GPU now reports temps at 30-35c under idle and 40-45c under load. I've been able to turn my case fans off and go silent mode with my Zalman CPU fan.

Happy to be cool, quiet and not crashing when playing hardcore in Daiblo 3....


So buying a new card actually helped? what is the actual difference? does the card actually have a better fan?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 2:39:09 AM

certain 5k series cards will run hot but theres certain cards from any series that do, older cards espically aren't as efficent which means more heat. For example my gt220 would run around 70C, but my new 7770 stays around 50 even though it's at least three times as powerful as a 220.


but besides that they don't make that card anymore so I'm guessing it's at least a year old now right? The fan is probably starting to die, you can, add fans to the side panel of your case, add a pci slot fan below it, or you can even go as far as to buying an aftermarket heatsink for it, but since these can get pricey I'd try this last.
Score
0
August 16, 2012 2:51:36 AM

mace200200 said:
certain 5k series cards will run hot but theres certain cards from any series that do, older cards espically aren't as efficent which means more heat. For example my gt220 would run around 70C, but my new 7770 stays around 50 even though it's at least three times as powerful as a 220.


but besides that they don't make that card anymore so I'm guessing it's at least a year old now right? The fan is probably starting to die, you can, add fans to the side panel of your case, add a pci slot fan below it, or you can even go as far as to buying an aftermarket heatsink for it, but since these can get pricey I'd try this last.



i have a cooler master mid-tower case, and my powersupply is on the top, would it matter?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 5:00:30 PM

joshyua said:
i have a cooler master mid-tower case, and my powersupply is on the top, would it matter?

How much case fans effect your components temps is debatable, some people even claim that putting side fans in will make everything run hotter. I love fans and I use all the ones that I can, wither it works out for you or not you have to find out it probably has something to do with how everything is set up inside. Having a top mounted PSU doesn't really matter. In my experience switching to one that sucks air from under the case will lower your temps by one whole degree if your lucky.
Score
0
August 16, 2012 5:31:05 PM

Best answer selected by joshyua.
Score
0
a c 273 U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 6:59:53 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!