Sign in with
Your question

Troubleshooting help on new build

Last response: in Systems
October 7, 2012 5:35:09 AM

Greetings all,

Building my first rig in a few years with the following components: Asus Rampage IV Formula, i7-3930K, 16gb Corsair Veng 1600, EVGA GTX 680 2gb, Corsair H100, Samsung 830 256gb, WD Caviar Black 1TB, Corsair AX1200i psu, NZXT Phantom 410. Got everything in the case all nice and neat, plugged her in, and nada. Decorative lights on MB are on, start/reset buttons on MB are lit but not responsive, BIOS indicator light is on, but no video, water block doesn't light up, HD doesn't spin, case and PSU fans don't turn, and no beep or error light on MB. Thinking I might have something put together wrong, I took it all apart and redid the whole thing (no errors noted), and still same response. Used all three methods to fire it up - case button, on-board start button, and shorting out power switch pins w pen.

Thinking I might have a dud board, but like I said it's been a while since I've done this so I'm second guessing my diagnostic skills. I would greatly appreciate suggestions on possible fixes or culprits.

Thanks in advance!

More about : troubleshooting build

a b B Homebuilt system
October 7, 2012 5:57:30 AM

I would download the latest bios file off asus webpage on a usb flash drive:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Ramp....

You'll need to use the asus motherboard cd to flash; unfortunately, I've never done this, so someone else will have to give you the details. I just bought an asus board yesterday, and can't update the bios using ez flash 2 until I purchase a usb drive.
October 8, 2012 4:11:26 AM

Tried the flash bios - no luck - so I did the ultimate in humiliation and took it to Best Buy. Hey - didn't have a working psu to try without taking my 10 year old's box apart and no one else was open on Sunday. Anyway, that's what it was - a dud Corsair psu. Didn't see that coming, but at least I now have a new one on the way.
!