Sign in with
Your question

Asus HD 6970 DCii Overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 16, 2012 12:00:32 AM

Hello,
I have the Asus HD 6970 DCII Tri Slot graphics card and suddenly from yesterday it has been overheating. While playing GTA IV the screen had these yellow horizontal bars across the screen so I got worried. Started task manger to kill the game but then it went back to normal and luckily I was running HM monitor in the background and checked some temps saw the GPU had reached 105C I was shocked. Opened the side panel of my case to let some air. Ran Furmark it was just averaging 102- 103C the whole time. Started GPUZ and played GTA IV again it was avg around 101C. Played MW3 same problem persists. Gave BF3 a try and set the fans to 100% in MSI AB and it would keep throttling down to 64% and the temp was not budging 102C.
Even idle temps are very high, just browsing through net temps are high. What do you guys suggest? RMA, or some other solutions. Did some search on Google some people changed the TIM on the card but don't want to do that it will void warranty. Other then that well I don't know why its overheating.
August 17, 2012 9:29:09 AM

Rahman20 said:
Hello,
I have the Asus HD 6970 DCII Tri Slot graphics card and suddenly from yesterday it has been overheating. While playing GTA IV the screen had these yellow horizontal bars across the screen so I got worried. Started task manger to kill the game but then it went back to normal and luckily I was running HM monitor in the background and checked some temps saw the GPU had reached 105C I was shocked. Opened the side panel of my case to let some air. Ran Furmark it was just averaging 102- 103C the whole time. Started GPUZ and played GTA IV again it was avg around 101C. Played MW3 same problem persists. Gave BF3 a try and set the fans to 100% in MSI AB and it would keep throttling down to 64% and the temp was not budging 102C.
Even idle temps are very high, just browsing through net temps are high. What do you guys suggest? RMA, or some other solutions. Did some search on Google some people changed the TIM on the card but don't want to do that it will void warranty. Other then that well I don't know why its overheating.

Hey Rahman,
I had a same problem last week, the temp went upto 103 celsius. Only thing was i did not have the yellow bars.
I opened my hd 6970 (the supplier said it would take 6 to 8 weeks to repair my 6970 cuii so i took the DIY-risk) removed all the paste and applied some new mx-4 on it, and it completely solved the problem. If you look the tutorials on youtube and google you cant don anything stupid. Just use NON-silver containing paste (mx-4 from arctic cooling is a good one) it may give a shortcut on your card as the GPU of the HD6970 CUII has contactpoints closely around the GPU and you dont want to shortcircuit them).

Just check first:
- Are your fans running on your card?
- Is the iron grid on your videcard-cooler warming up at all? You can feel it with your finger, no problem.

Anyway 102 celsius is not ok, and the hd6970 CUII shuts down automatically the GPU at this temp, so its ok, but dont wait too long with this.

It might be very well that the heattransfer from your gpu to the cooler is not working well.
After all, your card IS working as it shows image, so its probably the cooling part.
Maybe the paste is badly applied by the supplier.

If you are ok with having to do for some time without your card bring it to the supplier.
Otherwise DIY and replace the paste might be a good and easy way to do.
The main screw is on the top in the middle of the 2 fans, right under the black/red-striped bar in the middle.

Good luck!
Olaf.

m
l
!