Sign in with
Your question

VCR head oxide remover used on back of laptop CPU vents

Last response: in Components
February 20, 2013 8:31:51 AM

I used a VCR head oxide remover spray (I thought it was like an air type compressed can) on the external case vents of a laptop cpu.

I now have white "freeze burn" stains. I have attempted to remove them by using cotton buds and screen solvent but the stains are not coming out. Is there anything that can remove them without damaging the plastic case?

Many Thanks.
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2013 6:47:10 PM

It's not a stain.The solvent in the spray liquid has damaged the plastic as it's intended for use on metal only, which VCR heads are made of.
m
l
February 20, 2013 9:40:55 PM

Well thanks for letting me know anyway. I won't be using that product again!
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 147 à CPUs
February 20, 2013 10:49:21 PM

if the can of solvent didnt have a warning not to use it on plastics you can do the american thing and sue them. <LOL>
m
l
February 21, 2013 9:14:03 AM

popatim said:
if the can of solvent didnt have a warning not to use it on plastics you can do the american thing and sue them. <LOL>

I would love to but I am in a developing world country and I doubt it is worth doing anything about it as the company is a local one.

Having said that, I dabbed some WD-40 on it last night and it the "freeze burn" has much improved i.e. the white parts seem to have disappeared for now, however, I don't know if the freeze burn stains will come back or if the WD-40 has finally done the trick...
m
l
!