Closed

Files and settings transfer wizard problem? Please help me!

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • SD Card
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
  • Product
September 21, 2005 8:14:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi,

I saved my OE messages and settings using the XP files and settings transfer
wizard so I can put it back on my laptop after a XP clean install! That was
last night and I successfully saved the settings on 1GB SD card. I am
trying to transfer it to the Laptop and it asks my to insert disk #1, when I
click ok it says that this is not the correct disk! The backed up data are
on the SD card which is a file called "USMT2IMG"!

I used this wizard many times in the past but I always saved my stuff on a
hard drive partition and never had a problem with it! This time I used the
SD card but that is not working! Please help me get my data back, please!
The stuff I had on it is really hard to replace and would cost me a lot,
possible my job! Thanks in advance.

More about : files settings transfer wizard problem

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 10:55:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Rename your "USMT2IMG" file to "USMT2.UNC".

The .DAT file within the USMT2.UNC folder should be named IMG00001.DAT
There should also be a file named "status". If you have these two files within
the USMT2.UNC folder, you should only browse to the "USMT2.UNC" folder
when using the wizard.

==> Make sure your IMG00001 file is properly named: IMG00001.DAT

You need to browse to the location of the "USMT2.UNC" folder. Do not browse
to or select the IMG00001.DAT file, only the USMT2.UNC folder itself.

For example, my location is: C:\Old Computer Files\Transfers\USMT2.UNC

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"mac" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I saved my OE messages and settings using the XP files and settings transfer
| wizard so I can put it back on my laptop after a XP clean install! That was
| last night and I successfully saved the settings on 1GB SD card. I am
| trying to transfer it to the Laptop and it asks my to insert disk #1, when I
| click ok it says that this is not the correct disk! The backed up data are
| on the SD card which is a file called "USMT2IMG"!
|
| I used this wizard many times in the past but I always saved my stuff on a
| hard drive partition and never had a problem with it! This time I used the
| SD card but that is not working! Please help me get my data back, please!
| The stuff I had on it is really hard to replace and would cost me a lot,
| possible my job! Thanks in advance.
September 21, 2005 12:35:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Carey, Thank you very much for taking the time!

There is no "status" file! I am familiar with the status file and it only
exist when you save the backup information on a hard drive for example! In
this case, windows will create a folder called USMT2.UNC and in it will be 2
files, the IMG00001.DAT file and the status file but when you save the data
directly to a removable disk then windows put this USMT2IMG directly on the
disk! There is no folder and no status file!

I tried what you said and renamed the file but that did not work. I even
used one of the 'status' file from one of my old backups but still that did
not work. I get an error message saying that "the location you have
specified does not contain stored information, please type a valid folder
path into the edit box".

I've always used the saving data to the hard drive method and never had a
problem, I should of used what I know!

Thanks again!

> Rename your "USMT2IMG" file to "USMT2.UNC".
>
> The .DAT file within the USMT2.UNC folder should be named IMG00001.DAT
> There should also be a file named "status". If you have these two files
> within
> the USMT2.UNC folder, you should only browse to the "USMT2.UNC" folder
> when using the wizard.
>
> ==> Make sure your IMG00001 file is properly named: IMG00001.DAT
>
> You need to browse to the location of the "USMT2.UNC" folder. Do not
> browse
> to or select the IMG00001.DAT file, only the USMT2.UNC folder itself.
>
> For example, my location is: C:\Old Computer Files\Transfers\USMT2.UNC
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "mac" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | I saved my OE messages and settings using the XP files and settings
> transfer
> | wizard so I can put it back on my laptop after a XP clean install! That
> was
> | last night and I successfully saved the settings on 1GB SD card. I am
> | trying to transfer it to the Laptop and it asks my to insert disk #1,
> when I
> | click ok it says that this is not the correct disk! The backed up data
> are
> | on the SD card which is a file called "USMT2IMG"!
> |
> | I used this wizard many times in the past but I always saved my stuff on
> | hard drive partition and never had a problem with it! This time I used
> the
> | SD card but that is not working! Please help me get my data back,
> please!
> | The stuff I had on it is really hard to replace and would cost me a lot,
> | possible my job! Thanks in advance.

Related resources
March 17, 2009 3:01:39 AM

I was baffled for two straight days with the sinking feeling I would have to rebuild from bits stored all over the place.
I, too, went to the folder titled 'USMT2.UNC' when asked to identify the folder where the data was stored. I was wrong.

Contrary to advice I was given, I can only explain how I finally made the transfer.

I am running XP Pro, SP3.
I stored all the files through the F.A.S.T. wizard part of XP to my external HD in a folder called "TRANSFER 3-12-09".
When I was ready to transfer back to the new disk, I used FAST and identified the USMT2.UNC folder, and got the miserable message that the file was not there, or whatever it said.
I read a short note from someone who said he had solved his problem by browsing to the "TRANSFER 3-12-09" folder, in which resided the "USMT2.UNC" folder. Voila, FAST began transferring all the files back onto the new drive.
So - I avoided identifying the USMT2.UNC folder as my source, and identify either the drive or folder on the drive where USMT2.UNC is located.
Hope this helps.
April 9, 2009 1:15:38 AM

Thanks Micheald_47 your suggestion was right on!

I had not even considered that option previously, but saved me having to use other means to recover my 40gb profile.

:bounce:
April 22, 2009 4:40:13 PM

I too had this same problem with a 20g+ file and was banging my head, I looked at the above response and tried one very similar correction, I had browsed to network drive/userfolder/usmt
I just went one folder up
to the network drive/userfolder and it immediatley started the transfer.
Thanks!
August 6, 2009 2:05:28 PM

hi,
i have the same problem.
however my issue didnot get resolved even with pointing to one up-higher level in the browser box. i even made a copy of the usmt folder to the root of the hard disk and pointed to the root but it still wouldn't recognise!
is there another way to do it?
or can i run the image .DAT file using the appropriate program from the command / run window?
thank you all for your help!
regards, G.
August 27, 2009 6:58:46 PM

Hi all,

Thought I'd add my two-cents worth here since I, too, was having the same problems as described. My issue was not resolved when pointing up one level in the browser either, just like govindra mentions.

I ran across a site (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm) that said to ensure the Windows service pack level is the same on both computers. Sure enough, Service Pack 3 was on my old system, but only Service Pack 2 was on my new system. I installed SP3 on my new system and then ran through the FTS process again, and wah-lah...the settings transferred perfectly. (Note: I did point to a "transfers" folder I created, rather than the actual USMT2.UNC folder.)

Hope this helps alleviate someone's frustration!
September 24, 2009 1:50:39 PM

hi dude!

your two-cents worth reply was priceless for me! it was just the solution!

yes i had SP3 on the machine before i saved the FaTW, but was attempting the transfer with SP2. once i got the SP3 installed, it worked like a breeze!

i don't think i would've reached this conclusion on my own, so your solution was just great!

thank you!

regards, govindra.

ps: nice name. which 4-paws you got there? i'm esp fond of the black-shiny labs!
September 26, 2009 7:45:53 PM

Awesome, govindra! That's totally cool it helped you, too. Brought a smile into my otherwise dull day. :-)

I have 4 Boxer-mix paws these days. She loves the mud, so her paws are always wet from something. Gotta love dogs!

Have a good one!
September 28, 2009 4:24:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!