Would this build work?

G

Hi Guys, first time builder here. I am looking to buy my parts and build it ASAP but would like some help finding the right parts. Here's what I have chosen so far:

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/jAq2

The primary purpose of this build is for gaming but I am working on a budget so I can't buy the top level components, however, if you think that better components can be bought for a small price difference then that is ok.

I'm not buying a monitor because I'm using my tv. I've heard that using monitors is better because of the resolution but my tv is a full HD 22" so do you think that will work just as well?

Thanks in advance

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
Ugh it's pretty OK but you can do much better.

I upgraded your build quite a bit.

Here's what i changed.
I switched your ram kit with a low profile one.This ensures compatibility with any CPU cooler.
I got you a much better graphics card.
I upgraded the power supply to a much higher quality unit.
I replaced the case with the Xigmatek Midgard II which is just as good, if not better, but costs a bit less.
And i also included a Blu-Ray Burner which might be usefull.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.88 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£123.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£30.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.98 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£59.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£239.75 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Xigmatek MIDGARD II (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£79.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Sony BD-5750H Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (£56.87 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£66.32 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £957.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

At that point though, a 750w would be recommended since a 650w would leave little to no headroom.

G

Ok thanks for that. I was initially going for the new nvidia 660 but the ti model came with borderlands 2 which I was going to buy anyway so I thought it was better value. So if I'm only going to be playing at 1920x1080 resolution would the hd7950 produce noticeably better fps?

G

Looking at that the 7950 looks a lot better but I have a bit of a noob question. Can I overclock a factory overclocked card? Even games that the 660ti outperforms the 7950 on stock clocks the 7950 could get much better fps when overclocked so it looks the better option.