Would this build work?

Hi Guys, first time builder here. I am looking to buy my parts and build it ASAP but would like some help finding the right parts. Here's what I have chosen so far:

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/jAq2

The primary purpose of this build is for gaming but I am working on a budget so I can't buy the top level components, however, if you think that better components can be bought for a small price difference then that is ok.

I'm not buying a monitor because I'm using my tv. I've heard that using monitors is better because of the resolution but my tv is a full HD 22" so do you think that will work just as well?

Thanks in advance
9 answers Last reply
More about would build work
  1. Great build. You could get a HD7950 for cheaper which I think is a stronger card overall, not limited by its memory interface http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-660-ti-memory-bandwidth-anti-aliasing,review-32522-11.html
  2. ^+1
    PSU is overkill and arguably unreliable btw.
  3. Overkill yes but the quality is good. You should note his mobo is SLI capable making the 650W quite useful.
  4. Ugh it's pretty OK but you can do much better.

I upgraded your build quite a bit.

Here's what i changed.
    I switched your ram kit with a low profile one.This ensures compatibility with any CPU cooler.
    I got you a much better graphics card.
    I upgraded the power supply to a much higher quality unit.
    I replaced the case with the Xigmatek Midgard II which is just as good, if not better, but costs a bit less.
    And i also included a Blu-Ray Burner which might be usefull.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.88 @ Scan.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£123.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£30.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.98 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£59.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£239.75 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Xigmatek MIDGARD II (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£79.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Optical Drive: Sony BD-5750H Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (£56.87 @ CCL Computers)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£66.32 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £957.70
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  5. FinneousPJ said:
    Overkill yes but the quality is good. You should note his mobo is SLI capable making the 650W quite useful.

At that point though, a 750w would be recommended since a 650w would leave little to no headroom.
  6. Kamen_BG said:
    Ugh it's pretty OK but you can do much better.

I upgraded your build quite a bit.

Here's what i changed.
    I switched your ram kit with a low profile one.This ensures compatibility with any CPU cooler.
    I got you a much better graphics card.
    I upgraded the power supply to a much higher quality unit.
    I replaced the case with the Xigmatek Midgard II which is just as good, if not better, but costs a bit less.
    And i also included a Blu-Ray Burner which might be usefull.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.88 @ Scan.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£123.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£30.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.98 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£59.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£239.75 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Xigmatek MIDGARD II (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£79.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Optical Drive: Sony BD-5750H Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (£56.87 @ CCL Computers)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£66.32 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £957.70
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Ok thanks for that. I was initially going for the new nvidia 660 but the ti model came with borderlands 2 which I was going to buy anyway so I thought it was better value. So if I'm only going to be playing at 1920x1080 resolution would the hd7950 produce noticeably better fps?
  7. Yes. Here are some quick benchmarks:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=647
  8. Looking at that the 7950 looks a lot better but I have a bit of a noob question. Can I overclock a factory overclocked card? Even games that the 660ti outperforms the 7950 on stock clocks the 7950 could get much better fps when overclocked so it looks the better option.
  9. Yes you can OC a factory-OC card. Results vary. Some benches for you (and read the rest of the article if you haven't already, it's all about your card): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-11.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Components Monitors Systems