Choosing 2nd video card for 620w psu?

yno192

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I have a computer and I want to get a second video card, but I am unsure which new card my PSU can handle. The components in my computer that take draw significant power are:

Nvidia 560 ti video card
intel 2600k processor
16 gigabytes of ram
1 ssd
1 hard drive

To power this I have a Antec 620 watt psu (48 amps on the +12v rails) that is about a year old now. The card I might be getting will likely be a radeon 7970 or 7950.
I recall checking that 2 560 ti cards could run on this psu, and power consumption seems to be 7950 < 560ti < 7970.
If I would rather avoid getting a new power supply, can I add one of those cards to my current computer build?

Thanks for your time.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

you cant install both nvidia drivers and amd drivers at one time. if you can its a *** ton of work

yno192

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
@cbrunnem I use linux, so it is easier to get them running together.

@daswilhelm I don't have much money, and gaming cards are faster at rendering (gpgpu) than most workstation cards with cycles. OpenGL is way faster on workstation cards, but I don't care about that much for what I need.

I know of people who successfully use a set up like what I am proposing, I just need to know if the psu can power the cards.

yno192

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
@cbrunnem, exactly, the cards I've mentioned (7950/7970 instead of workstation cards) are as fast or better, and cheaper, for my purposes.

@Deemo13 sli/crossfire is unneeded/irrelevant.

Does anybody have an answer as far as my power concerns go?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

ummm can you not read the titles? that was a gaming bench i linked?