Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Want to run 3 1080p Monitors in Eyefinity with 1 or 2 6950s

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 16, 2012 3:06:14 AM

Hello!

I currently have 2 ASUS 1080p 23" monitors, which obviously isn't ideal to game on, especially in an FPS, so I only use 1 while gaming. I'm looking to add a 3rd monitor, but my 6950 (ASUS DCUII 1GB) probably won't be able to handle this without a severe drop in performance, or so I'm assuming.

I'm not planning to buy for a while, but in case I do, I would like to know what the correct course of action would be.

I currently have 1 crossfire bridge and a compatible mobo (ASUS P8P67-V... can you see I like ASUS?), and a 1000w PSU, so I'm good to go, so long as I clear some PCIe space on my mobo.

I just want to know if one card can handle 3 monitors at high settings, or if I really need 2. Or if I should just upgrade to a faster single gpu card and hold off on the 3rd monitor for a few months. Or if I need 2 crossfire bridges. Or if my current card even supports 3 monitors (it has 2 DVI and 4 HDMI, but I heard someone say only a few of these can be used at once or something because of an active displayport issue, which sounds silly).

Thanks!
August 16, 2012 4:53:42 AM

You're problem is in the graphics card itself, not how many you have. In order to run HD eyefinity you need at least 2GB's frame buffer preferably 3GB+ multiple 2GB cards will upgrade the frame rates.
August 16, 2012 5:32:17 AM

monoproelio said:
You're problem is in the graphics card itself, not how many you have. In order to run HD eyefinity you need at least 2GB's frame buffer preferably 3GB+ multiple 2GB cards will upgrade the frame rates.


I absolutely need two 2GB 6950s? Because my current one supports 2 monitors just fine.
Related resources
August 17, 2012 3:01:21 PM

Usually 1GB is enough for 1920 x 1080 on 1 monitor and 1 monitor that doesn't directly display the gaming image. Eyefinity requires the card use three times as much frame buffer because it has to display the same number of pixels at the same frames per second on three different display. Therefore 2GB minimum 3GB recommended. Nvidia even makes separate models of their cards that have twice the Ram for that exact reason. Ever browse and see a 4GB 680?
August 17, 2012 11:20:02 PM

monoproelio said:
Usually 1GB is enough for 1920 x 1080 on 1 monitor and 1 monitor that doesn't directly display the gaming image. Eyefinity requires the card use three times as much frame buffer because it has to display the same number of pixels at the same frames per second on three different display. Therefore 2GB minimum 3GB recommended. Nvidia even makes separate models of their cards that have twice the Ram for that exact reason. Ever browse and see a 4GB 680?


Right. So if I were to get a 2GB 6950 in addition to my current 1GB, it would still scale down to 1GB in eyefinity and I would still only be able to run two monitors? Or would I be able to run 3?

Or should I just say "screw it" and get a 660 ti or something :p 
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 2:14:06 AM

QwertyMusicMan said:
Right. So if I were to get a 2GB 6950 in addition to my current 1GB, it would still scale down to 1GB in eyefinity and I would still only be able to run two monitors? Or would I be able to run 3?

Or should I just say "screw it" and get a 660 ti or something :p 


Pretty sure it either won't work or scale down to 1gb. Get a 7950 (3gb vram, yay!) and overclock it like mad, IMO.
August 18, 2012 2:19:33 AM

diec4st said:
Pretty sure it either won't work or scale down to 1gb. Get a 7950 (3gb vram, yay!) and overclock it like mad, IMO.


And since it has 3GB of vram it can handle 3 simultaneous monitors? What about the performance at that high of a resolution?

Also, I've heard on some customer reviews and such that you have to use certain video outputs on the card so it can run more than 2 displays at once. Something to do with the displayport, or using outputs on one side of the card only.

Thanks for the help, I'm just getting into eyefinity and whatnot so I'm not especially knowledgeable.
August 18, 2012 2:26:30 AM

QwertyMusicMan said:
And since it has 3GB of vram it can handle 3 simultaneous monitors? What about the performance at that high of a resolution?

Also, I've heard on some customer reviews and such that you have to use certain video outputs on the card so it can run more than 2 displays at once. Something to do with the displayport, or using outputs on one side of the card only.

Thanks for the help, I'm just getting into eyefinity and whatnot so I'm not especially knowledgeable.

For eyefinity to work you need to use a active displayport adapter.
August 18, 2012 2:50:29 AM

ajl2011shooter said:
For eyefinity to work you need to use a active displayport adapter.


I just read into it some more, and my current GPU has four displayport outputs and 2 DVIs, so you could, in theory, run a 6 monitor eyefinity setup.

3 more questions:

-Even if I get an active displayport-DVI adapter for my 3rd monitor, it wouldn't work because it only has 1GB of VRAM? Then why support 6 monitors in eyefinity in the first place?

-If I can run a 3 monitor eyefinity setup on my current GPU, how would it handle the resolution increase?

-Should I get a 2nd 6950 and use that for 2 monitors, and use my current card for 1? Or should I just buy the aforementioned 7950 and run all 3 monitors out of that one card?

Thanks!

Best solution

August 18, 2012 5:15:29 AM
Share

QwertyMusicMan said:
I just read into it some more, and my current GPU has four displayport outputs and 2 DVIs, so you could, in theory, run a 6 monitor eyefinity setup.

3 more questions:

-Even if I get an active displayport-DVI adapter for my 3rd monitor, it wouldn't work because it only has 1GB of VRAM? Then why support 6 monitors in eyefinity in the first place?

-If I can run a 3 monitor eyefinity setup on my current GPU, how would it handle the resolution increase?

-Should I get a 2nd 6950 and use that for 2 monitors, and use my current card for 1? Or should I just buy the aforementioned 7950 and run all 3 monitors out of that one card?

Thanks!

1. You can run eyefinity with one gig of ram but it will have really low FPS. It can do 6 monitors but again not for playin games.

2. You can run the 3 monitor eyefinity setup but again it will suck for games.

3. I have 6870's in crossfire with 3 monitor eyefinity and I get 60 or so FPS(med settings) on BF3. 6950's in crossfire would get you a little better but if you want to play on High settings with decent resolution you would have to go to a 7970 or maybe crossfire some 7870's. When you crossfire cards you can only plug the monitors into one card. So if you do just get another 6950 you would plug them all into the same card.
August 18, 2012 5:19:02 AM

ajl2011shooter said:
1. You can run eyefinity with one gig of ram but it will have really low FPS. It can do 6 monitors but again not for playin games.

2. You can run the 3 monitor eyefinity setup but again it will suck for games.

3. I have 6870's in crossfire with 3 monitor eyefinity and I get 60 or so FPS(med settings) on BF3. 6950's in crossfire would get you a little better but if you want to play on High settings with decent resolution you would have to go to a 7970 or maybe crossfire some 7870's.


Thank you!
August 18, 2012 5:19:13 AM

Best answer selected by QwertyMusicMan.
!