Shut Down

Allan158

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
I am having a problem shutting down Windows 7, it appears to hang up and I have to push the power button on the computer to shut down.
Anyone have an idea what the problem is?

Allan158

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

Even waiting 10/15 minutes it still does not shut down. There are the few occasions when it will shut down quickly.

I have looked at Event Viewer and there were errors showing but I really do not know what I am looking for.

I am now thinking that I may have to call in an IT expert to go through my computer to find my problem.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Event viewer is overwhelming, but here's a tip. Order the events by date (I think it's default), look at your clock, do a (forced) shutdown. Then start again, and look for events that are newer than the time you noted.

krayvok

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Im experiencing the same thing, i have a bit more detail in my post. Username as krayvok. Posts and information there would be very helpful as well. :)
thread - Win 7 home premium 64 bit continuous freezing

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
While not giving up on the issue, I have to tell you that whenever I have a problem like this, I try to be as pragmatic as possible. To exclude hardware fault, I usually end up doing a reinstall. It's time consuming, I know, it requires careful planning, because it's really a bad way of loosing irreplaceable data (I mean forgetting to backup everything). And it's not even 100% foolproof, because I can install the same - I don't know - bad combination of drivers or something. But if the problem goes away, no more headache, and the hardware is cleared.

It's easier if you have an empty hard drive around, you just disconnect the current one, connect this, and put a fresh system on it...

That being said, if the Event Viewer is not conclusive, I think it's pretty risk-free to give a chance to Microsoft's System File Checker.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Allan158

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

I have contacted an IT engineer to call and sort my computer out before I start making a mess of the system. I am afraid that I do not have the technical knowledge to sort things out.

Thanks a million for your help.

Allan158

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

I have contacted an IT engineer to call and sort my computer out before I start making a mess of the system. I am afraid that I do not have the technical knowledge to sort things out.

Thanks a million for your help.