301.42 drivers seem cause system to crash/freeze/reboot

ryanburnsred

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Hey guys I just got a GTX 480 today and took out my old 9800GT and put the new card in. I went into to safe mode and used driver sweeper to remove the previous drivers so i can install the new ones. but ever since then my computer has either freeze on start up, bsod, freeze randomly when i'm watching a video or doing anything on the computer, or randomly bsod or simply restart itself in a loop. It's so random in what it does I can't even give you a solid desciption. I've never had problems like this before. Ever.

I have a 550 watt power supply and both power connectors are in. The temps are at 52c on idle.
I can't even use the computer because it will do one or a combination of the things I listed above.
Going into safe mode doesn't even work sometimes because it either freezes when loading the files or crashes right after loading them. Can anyone help please?
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64

System specs:
Core i5 650
Asus P7H55-M PRO
12 GB DDR 3 RAM
Antec TruePower Trio 550 watts

As a last resort I'll back up what I need onto a hard drive and reinstall Win 7

monoproelio

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I don't think re installing windows 7 is going to help. The minimum power recommendation for a GTX 480 is a 600 Watt PSU. They really suck up the power. If you have a lot of drives or other things that drain power 550 watts might just not cut it. (although normally i would assume that it could, however if it is an old PSU, or just a bad PSU it might not) try running the computer with 9800GT and scan for hardware issues just in case it is the motherboard conflicting with the newer graphics card because of an error. Hopefully we can help you get this figured out! God Bless!

ryanburnsred

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
I thought reinstalling windows would erase all corrupted drivers and such..
I also posted this in the EVGA forums and they've given me suggestion, but everyone says it's most likely my PSU..which would be a very bad thing :S

monoproelio

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Yeah like I said man, it sounds like the PSU just cannot handle it because of it's size, not that the PSU cannot be used in another system later. Save that bad boy! Hope this helps! God Bless!

PS: I doesn't sound like a driver problem which is why i wouldn't re install windows personally.

ryanburnsred

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

It's stable now. I got it to work by removing an extra 4 gigs of ram from 12 and using older drivers..
I'm still working on getting a better PSU

Thanks for reply though

iliani007

Honorable
May 11, 2012

OK ,,Enjoy the new video card
And good luck with your PSU