Sign in with
Your question

64bit cpu upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
February 20, 2013 11:22:31 AM

Hello,
I have a custom built pc with a dg965ot board and a pentium 4 (3.00ghz) cpu. Intel's website says I can run a core 2 duo 6420 cpu ($57) on the board. What all do I need to do to go from 32 to 64bits? Would the change be worth it? Thnx

More about : 64bit cpu upgrade

February 20, 2013 11:42:02 AM

64 bit is faster and can use more ram
what do u use for ur pc?
m
l
February 20, 2013 11:54:43 AM

Nothing serious just web, videos, pics etc. But I do notice when I have a couple of PDFs open and I'm entering data in excel, the pc gets real sluggish and sounds like the squirrels are working overtime :p 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2013 12:13:56 PM

You would need the 64 bit CPU of course and a 64 bits OS to benifit from it, generally speaking, the only avantage for the average consumer is the fact that 64 bits support more than 4gb of ram as 32 bit still can run every application correctly...

More ram will resolve an issue like yours as the more programs opens, the more ram you need...

PS: a application capable of using more than 4gb will really benifit from a 64 bits system over a 32bits...
m
l
February 20, 2013 12:25:38 PM

totally support spawnkiller

conclusion : it increase the over pc performance
m
l
February 20, 2013 12:52:41 PM

Thanks DW and SK! So one more question? I would just replace the CPU then upgrade the memory and install a 64 OS? Anything else I would have to consider? BTW is this something a noob could do or should I hand it over to the geek squad?
m
l
February 20, 2013 1:00:55 PM

Hi jhop!

From what I understand, right now you're on 32-bit operating system. You're asking what you'll need to go 64-bit and would it be worth it. Also, that you're planning to upgrade your CPU to an Intel E6420, to be 64-bit capable.

Actually, some Pentium 4's are actually 64-bit capable, e.g., the 630 to 670 models. If your CPU model falls into that list, then you're already 64-bit ready! That said, the E6420 used the LGA 775 Socket, which your motherboard, the DG965OT is equipped with. The E6420 is also 64-bit capable. So all good there.

Next thing you'll need is a 64-bit OS. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit. You will have to go with an entirely new system, which means you'll either get a new storage device and format that, or reformat your old storage. If you go with the latter, be sure to remember to backup your important documents.

What are the benefits of a 64-bit system over a 32-bit system? Spawnkiller did a good explanation, and I will repeat and point out the most obvious improvement:

It allows more than 4 GB of memory. This would be very beneficial in your case, as you're having periodic slowdowns when inputting data in applications. More ram means more data for the application to work with before it has to access your hard disk. Frequent hard disk accessing are what typically slows down processes.

So, to summarize, go 64-bit, and get 4 GB more memory.

As a suggestion, you can also get an SSD for a fantastic speed increase.

m
l
February 20, 2013 1:10:42 PM

jhop said:
Thanks DW and SK! So one more question? I would just replace the CPU then upgrade the memory and install a 64 OS? Anything else I would have to consider? BTW is this something a noob could do or should I hand it over to the geek squad?

You can do the upgrades!! Do not give it to Geek Squad! If you are worried find a geek friend to help you.
m
l
February 20, 2013 2:54:54 PM

Thanks for the info and words of encouragement y'all! I'll be putting in my order shortly :D 
m
l
!