My First Rig

mdastuto

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Alright guys and gals,

First off, this site is incredible and has been a huge help in navigating the new waters of computer building for me.

I decided I needed a desktop PC because all I currently have is a 4 year old macbook that is starting to show its age and my pockets are getting empty trying to keep it up to date.

I figured if I was going to build a rig, that I wanted to build a gaming PC and transition away from consoles. I don't do a ton of gaming but im looking forward to titles like Far Cry 3 and Assassins Creed 3 this fall. Id say I spend about 5 to 10 hours a week playing games.

So far heres what I've got. I would say $800 is about as much as I want to spend right now.

Intel i5-3450 - $195
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - $135
Radeon HD 7850 - $200
CORSAIR CX 600 80 Plus Bronze Cerified 600W - $70
16 GB Patriot Gamer 2 Series DDR3 1333 SDRAM - $68

Critiques, advice, criticisms, concerns and suggestions would all be appreciated.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Congratulations on tackling your first build! You've picked a decent set of parts. I don't see any particular issues. One thing I would consider is going for DDR3 1600 memory. It's not hugely important, but it would give you a little better performance.

What kind of HDD/SSD are you thinking about? What kind of case? That will cost you around an extra $100. Also, don't forget your optical drive and to consider the cost of a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Speakers may also be a consideration unless you plan on only using headphones. Since it doesn't sound like you're a heavy gamer you probably don't need to spend too much on top-end stuff. Finally, you might want to think about cooling. I don't personally have experience with that motherboard and CPU, but adding an aftermarket CPU later down the line might be another thing to consider if your system starts running too hot.

mdastuto

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I might go with 8gb of 1600 RAM. Right now I have a 1TB Hitatchi HD for about $70 and a Rosewill ATX mid tower case that comes stock with 2 120mm fans and 1 140mm fan thats going to cost $50. I've considered that i will also need a monitor, keyboard, speakers, OS, ect. Im willing to go over $800 total, was just trying to keep the tower around $800.

mdastuto

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Thanks man. Yeah, I had originally picked out 8 gb of RAM. Then for some reason I thought maybe id go with 16. I think im going to go back to 8. I'll look into the 3470 and the xfx 550w. Thanks for the suggestion rig too. v