Will my ibm t41 run windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoky10_0

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hello,
would my IBM T41 run windows 8 or am I wasting my time.
My operating system is
XP professional 32 bit SP3
Intel Pentium M Dothan 90 nm technology
Ram 1 GB DDR @ 166Hz
Motherboard IBM 23731FM
Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
Hard Drive 298 GB Western Digital Pata
Audio Soundmax
Opical Drive Toshbia DVD-Rom

Solution
The CPU and RAM are probably what won't allow it. 90nm is really old technology, and 1GB RAM (that to DDR) is much too little to run even the 32-bit version.

It would be better to get a new machine which will work better into the future than needing to keep upgrading this one.

P.S. Your RAM runs at 166 Mhz, not Hz :D.

Hope this helps!

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
The CPU and RAM are probably what won't allow it. 90nm is really old technology, and 1GB RAM (that to DDR) is much too little to run even the 32-bit version.

It would be better to get a new machine which will work better into the future than needing to keep upgrading this one.

P.S. Your RAM runs at 166 Mhz, not Hz :D.

Hope this helps!

Solution
yeah i know

still got 3 or 4 of the t series kicking about in here somewhere

i keep them for when the grandkids come round

if they damage those they are easy to repair and parts are still easily available

but they can still do youtube and facebook and paint and some hidden object games etc

all the stuff the grandkids want to use them for

amdphenomkde

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

I don't think so. I have an R50 with a Pentium M and same GPU. I tried Windows 8 Release Preview on it and it wouldn't even boot because the CPU needs PAE, but doesn't support it. You might as well go with Linux, stay with XP, or get 7. Besides, I don't think the Metro apps would be enjoyable on a 1024x768 display. I would stay with XP and upgrade to 2GB RAM if I were you. If you get Linux, make sure your distro doesn't need PAE. Also, don't plan on watching any movies with Linux because there's no video driver for the MR 7500 that I could find. And I don't know if the GPU drivers work on 7.

smoky10_0

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

Thanks for the reply, after reading this and other answers you are right, I had a feeling my old IBM T41 would not be able to handle windows 8.
I was going to get a new laptop in approx 1.5 yrs time, so any problems with windows 8 should be sorted out by then.
Thanks again Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.