Intel Core i5-3570 BX806237i53570 Processor or Intel Core i7-3770K?

MikeTheCISGuy

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Im currently in the process of purchasing a CPU for a gaming PC. I was originally going to go with the Core i5. However, I seen the i7 and it caught my eye. The i5 is $200 and the i7 is $299. Id like to think im on a budget, so I am considering just sticking with the i5. Both have great reviews for them and I honestly do not see a reason to spend the other $99. I just want a opinion from someone on what I should go with and why. Heres the links to both processors, (Core i5) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2983973&SRCCODE=MYBUYS&cm_mmc=email-_-mybuys-_-alerts-_-alerts&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=mybuys&utm_campaign=alerts - (Core i7) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2372989&CatId=1969 , Thanks!

The Core i7 isn't going to be noticeably better in gaming. However, you are comparing the -K version of the Core i7 to a Core i5 without the K suffix. K means it can be overclocked freely, which can improve gaming performance substantially.

However, the Core i5 comes in a -K version too, so if you want overclocking, that's the CPU I would recommend.

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
The i5 3570k will perform about the same as the i7 3770k in most games. The i7 has hyper threading which helps in applications that support it..like movie editing and rendering, stuff like that.

MikeTheCISGuy

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Okay, thank you for the help. I posted the wrong i5 link, I meant to put the unlocked version. I am most likely going to go with the unlocked version of the i5. One more question if you dont mind, since the i5 im going to purchase is unlocked for overclocking, will it make the overclocking process easier for me? I guess what im saying is will it lessen the chances of me harming any components?

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
If you get a z77 motherboard, like the AsRock Extreme 4, it is very easy to do a simple over clock by just changing the clock multiplier in the bios. However, make sure you get a good cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo) for a light over clock, if you go for a major over clock, like above 4.5 Ghz, you will probably need a water cooler. There are guides on here on how to do it.

MikeTheCISGuy

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

I have a ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel 7 Series Motherboard, is this good for overclocking in your opinion?

It doesn't make it easier, it makes it possible to go farther. The K just means the arbitrary limit on clock speeds is removed, and you can overclock the CPU to whatever its actual limits turn out to be.