Substitute for the AMD e1 1200 apu dual core processor in PC?

headkickharris

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
I got a tower as a gift from my mother, who doesnt know much about computers. Basically she bought me a best buy tower HP tower. Has an AMD e1-1200 APU and my sister bought me a powercolor hd 7750 for it since she knows I like gaming (generally console, new to PC). I believe the 7750 will fit, but from my understanding, the e1-1200 is basically the biggest piece of crap out there. It seems like this is mostly found in laptops making upgrading pretty much out of the question. In a tower, what can i replace this guy with?

logainofhades

Titan
CPU cannot be upgraded. It is a bga chip that is soldered to the motherboard. HP tends to make their plugs proprietary for the front panel switches and LED's. With a little time and effort it can be converted with these. http://www.xoxide.com/nzxt-sleevedfrontpanel-setcable.html. Now it all depends what the case has installed. Can you find an inside view of your model?

headkickharris

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
For the record, it is an hp p2-1334. I can take a photo when I get home from work today. Ill see what i can find for now.

-edit-
HP's website even states that it can not be upgraded for the reason you mentioned. Could this CPU handle an HD 7750?

+1 check if the case can take a lager board or buy an ITX one and make sure it has a PCIE x 16 slot running at X16 speed. You will need a new power supply, if the case cannot house a standard ATX power supply then you need a new case to. If you need a new case anyway then you can get whatever motherboard and CPU you like. Also note the system runsd only single channel RAM so most likely has only 1 4Gb stick which would run alot better paired with another in the upgraded version.

logainofhades

Titan
The case itself looks to be a standard micro ATX/mid tower size wise. They just threw a mini-itx board into it. I still need to find a rear view to see what they did PSU wise. Saw one pic, and it looks like they put a dummy plate in where the PSU normally goes in the case.

headkickharris

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Here is a photo of the back, I can get a better one a little later. It is your standard size case...why they used a mini ITX, I dont know. Ill open the case up later on and see how much space is in there. It is cut off in the photo, but there are 4? expansion bays at the top. I dont know the size of the dvd drive. The mobo has to slots for ram, but only 4 gig. I believe the HP site says it can handle up to 32g, which is only with the 64 bit system, which is what I have.

521355_10200630533989125_1359812850_n.jpg

logainofhades

Titan
Could you get a pic closer to the top on the back? It looks like a dummy plate but I cannot tell on my phone. Work blocks whatever photo service you are using. You are definitely limited to single slot graphics cards too. You will have to settle for Mini-ITX, for sure. Using such a large case with a mini-itx setup makes no sense. Guess it was cheaper to just design a different back plate than a whole new case. :/

headkickharris

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

I agree, I think it is very weird. Anyway, I can get better specific photos later on, the gf is being a team player and sending me pics at the moment but she doesnt know the difference between my xbox360 and the computer tower lol.

267918_10200630772395085_59090239_n.jpg

logainofhades

Titan
Looking at the inside, it is safe to say the case is not usable if you want to use that 7750. There is no expansion slot for your graphics on the board or the case. If that system can be exchanged for another with at least a micro ATX board in it, it would best that you do.