Your question

6870 issue should i uprgrade?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • AMD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
August 16, 2012 5:43:06 AM

hi i just bought a amd 6870 xfx and am struggling with games like modern warfare 2 set to high and even when i downgrade the specifications i can still see lines of lag on the screen i dont know if its a defective card or what so im thinking about returning it to the store. also know i have a new spending budget of 250'ish' if you think there is no solution to my gpu being either crap or just not working what card do you think i should get instead that will not deliver crappy image.

im pairing it with an amd fx 4100 and 16gb ddr3 1600mhz ram

any suggestions?

More about : 6870 issue uprgrade

a c 101 U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 5:51:50 AM

I'd return it for a replacement. XFX is a good company and they should help you. If the problem still occurs with the replacement card then upgrade to a 7850.
m
l
August 16, 2012 5:54:10 AM

i was just able to play it with all max except anti aliasing but if it dropped even 2 frames it would have an obvious stutter. from what ive heard i shouldnt be able to tell its losing frames unless it drops below 30 is this a gpu defect or just how the card runs

-this is my first gaming rig so i have no experience
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 16, 2012 6:23:56 AM

Sure sounds like CPU and VRAM issues.

A 6870 should CRUSH this game. If it's struggling you need to monitor your GPU and CPU load % and see what they're at while playing. I use the Windows 7 Gadgets made by Keat.

Ideally the GPU should be the one red-lined at near 100% and the CPU should have some head room.

If it's the other way around you're CPU bound and step 1 would be to overclock.

If neither is at or near 100% or all over the place then you have some errors to figure out because something is going wrong.

The problem is ABSOLUTELY NOT that the Radeon 6870 isn't good enough. Please don't buy another card.
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:33:12 AM

ill go test the load now
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:48:07 AM

ok so while i was testing the gpu usage was around 70 -80 %
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:54:38 AM

its seem my cpu is also avreging around 70-80% but on max im still having some stutters now and then. also it monitors the 4 cores and the 1st one is always maxed out when gaming idk what this means
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 6:58:46 AM

im going on a whim by saying your CPU is the issue, try to OC it.

what is your resolution? i play @ 1680x1050 so it's not quite 1080 but i can play games on high settings with 60-80FPS with GPU under full load, CPU is usually @ 75% load.
m
l
August 16, 2012 7:04:29 AM

seankoa said:
4 cores and the 1st one is always maxed out when gaming idk what this means

Bingo. That's CPU bound on the single thread. The game will stress all the cores but the game runs primarily on one thread. How fast that single thread can go is the most important thing. If you had an 8 core in there, it doesn't matter that all the 7 other cores have headroom and thus the "CPU load" being less than 25% when really that's 100% for the purpose of your game.

Minecraft and WoW both do this on my PC when in windowed mode. The framerate in those situations goes from 30 to 200+ when I scan from the horizontal to the sky.

You'd need to overclock. Fortunately for you all FX processors can be overclocked. Look into your particular model.
m
l
August 16, 2012 3:08:53 PM

im running 1920x1080p
m
l
August 16, 2012 3:10:07 PM

with the fx 4100 im assuming im going to need to get another heat sink?
m
l
August 16, 2012 3:53:37 PM

i overclocked from 3.6 to 3.8 will this be enough or should i exceed
m
l
a c 264 U Graphics card
a c 137 À AMD
August 16, 2012 4:09:17 PM

The FX-4100 is not a great CPU for games. I suspect you'll need to go for at least 4.2GHz.
m
l
August 16, 2012 4:10:36 PM

alright im guessing that means ill need to get a new heat sink.. but how high fo you think i can go with the stock one because right now at 3.8 only on this site the cpu is at 21c
m
l
August 16, 2012 4:11:12 PM

im pretty sure this isnt high at all but ive never overclocked and dont know how much the temps wil change under load of games
m
l
a c 264 U Graphics card
a c 137 À AMD
August 16, 2012 4:36:13 PM

21C is excellent (seems low enough that I'd question the accuracy), but if that's at idle, it doesn't mean much. See how high it gets during games.
You will need a better cooler than the stock. I'd recommend a 120mm tower-style cooler such as a Xigmatek Gaia or Dark Knight. Corsair has one as well.
m
l
August 16, 2012 4:42:04 PM

i heard good things about the hyper 212 evo and since you are questioning the acuracy i am using the core temp app i heard this is very acuratte but if there is another way to more acurately check my idle speed let me know. I am using a cooler master case thats got about 8 large fans with a fan blowing into it just to keep the air in the room circulating for non computer reasons
m
l
a c 264 U Graphics card
a c 137 À AMD
August 16, 2012 5:09:46 PM

I do not ever recommend Crappermaster anything, regardless of quality, because the company has been proven to be dishonest. A rational individual does not support dishonesty; that allows it to flourish.
If I'm not mistaken, Coretemp may need to be calibrated, but I do not remember the details.
m
l
August 16, 2012 5:12:22 PM

how do i calibrate core temp
m
l
August 16, 2012 5:13:31 PM

while running a stress test i allowed it to get up to 48ceclious is this normal to be that low
m
l
August 16, 2012 5:48:33 PM

ill try again and let it run full
m
l
August 16, 2012 10:21:15 PM

i was able to have the stress test bring it up to 53celcious
m
l
August 17, 2012 2:04:59 AM

That's plenty cool. You really don't need a better cooler right now if that's your max temp. I would try to get that chip over 4GHz at the very least which may not need much of a voltage bump.

Start slow but, yes, you have thermal headroom.
m
l
August 17, 2012 2:18:30 AM

alright so i have it clocked at 4.2ghz. (computer properties shows 4.19) and its idiling without me touching it at 26 celcious as soon as i us the mouse or click something it instantly jumps tp around 36 so im just going to say thats the normal temp. now im going to test it under load at post my temps. also i was wondering how the whole voltage thing works because my speed is 4.2 what should my voltage be at?
m
l
August 17, 2012 2:31:12 AM

i also overclocked my 6870 to 950mhz for gpu clock and 1100mhz for memery clock and it stays around 57 celcius could i go higher or should i stay
m
l
a c 264 U Graphics card
a c 137 À AMD
August 17, 2012 2:33:59 AM

See how it performs the way you have it set now.
m
l
August 17, 2012 2:38:58 AM

Yeah there's two "levels" of overclock you can go for.

First would be to just see how fast you can make the chip go with the stock voltage and second would be to push the voltage up to your thermal ceiling to reach max overclock.

Start with just the first method.
m
l
August 17, 2012 3:14:16 AM

how will i know if its the max i can go with stock voltage
m
l
August 17, 2012 3:16:20 AM

it runs a lot smoother now but there is a little lag hear and there
m
l
August 17, 2012 3:22:57 AM

i got it to 4.4ghz and when not being used its at 29celcious when i click something it jumps up tp hover around 40celcious
m
l
a c 264 U Graphics card
a c 137 À AMD
August 17, 2012 9:34:59 AM

That's a pretty decent range. What are your CPU and GPU usage now when you are playing?
m
l
August 19, 2012 8:22:35 PM

seankoa said:
how will i know if its the max i can go with stock voltage

Well, by doing exactly what you're doing. You will get to a point where your comp will crash while under load.

At this point you want to back off on the overclock to make sure it is in fact that clock that is causing the crash.

Once you know it's the OC, you want to bump the voltage by a couple hundred milivolts and keep testing that until it no longer crashes and becomes stable but never exceeds 75-80C.

Monitoring the temperatures becomes paramount when you're at this step. If you got it to 4.4GHz that's actually really good without bumping the voltage but I doubt its stable.

Good luck. It takes some time but overclocking is definitely worth it especially in your situation.
m
l
August 23, 2012 10:48:23 PM

I know it took me a while to reply sorry I was on vacation but for anyone who still monitors this forum I was wondering, since the tempuratures don't seem to change that much when I change the ghz is this a voltage thing I saw you mention at a certain point it will become unstable and this happens to me at 4.6 ghz but I still haven't changed stock voltage or anything else but the ghz because I wasn't aware of any of that.. but now I am and from what your replica me it seems if I crash at 4.6 with stock voltage its because well that's as far as I can go ghz with stock heat sink but also that it will be unstable. would lowering the ghz and increasig the voltage make it more stable and perform better ? say 4.2 ghz at 1.5 volts and also do the volts effect the tempurature a lot more then ghz? sorry for the lateness and all the question but also thank you for anyone who will still reply
m
l
August 23, 2012 10:48:35 PM

I know it took me a while to reply sorry I was on vacation but for anyone who still monitors this forum I was wondering, since the tempuratures don't seem to change that much when I change the ghz is this a voltage thing I saw you mention at a certain point it will become unstable and this happens to me at 4.6 ghz but I still haven't changed stock voltage or anything else but the ghz because I wasn't aware of any of that.. but now I am and from what your replica me it seems if I crash at 4.6 with stock voltage its because well that's as far as I can go ghz with stock heat sink but also that it will be unstable. would lowering the ghz and increasig the voltage make it more stable and perform better ? say 4.2 ghz at 1.5 volts and also do the volts effect the tempurature a lot more then ghz? sorry for the lateness and all the question but also thank you for anyone who will still reply
m
l
August 23, 2012 10:50:18 PM

m
l
a c 101 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 1:00:00 AM

Lowering the clocks will help with temperatures. And upping the volts will also help stabilize too. But, first see if it will be unstable when you only lower the clocks.
m
l
August 26, 2012 4:13:09 AM

i have it now at 4ghz at 1.425 volts at its running under heavy load of bf3 maxed out at 47 celcious can i go farther or is this a solid stoppong point i avarage 54 fps.
also i have comcluded that my systems issues with mw2 is actually mw2 isues with my system and the game itself has a problem because no way in hell should i be able to run bf3 aall setting ultra and get a smooth running 54fps and lag *** in mw2
m
l
a c 101 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 6:52:21 AM

That looks good.
m
l