guptasa1

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
Hey all!
OK guys...I'm getting a new box, and I'd like some opinions. I've got everything settled but the hard drive. I was going to go with a single, large storage IDE drive. It's 7200 RPM and quite speedy. However, I've read a bit about RAID (RAID 0 is what I'm interested in for speed). Here's what I've found:

PROS:
1. Improves hard drive/computer performance quite a bit.
2. Doubles the storage obviously.

CONS:
1. More expensive.
2. Less space in case (PCI slot, hard drive slot).
3. Less reliability/more chance of data loss.
4. More CPU utilization (Would this hamper performance?)
5. Maybe more heat, though this would be negligable.

One thing I'd like to know is, since I understand a bit about how RAID 0 works, could I upgrade to it at any time? How would I make it so the hard drives share the data if some was already on the first one?

Another thing I'd like to know is how much more danger there would be for possible data loss.

This system will be used for Windows XP, Office XP, DVD movies, network access (limited sharing), and games primarily. I don't do much photo editing or movie editing, so I'm wondering how much going just one fast drive would hamper performance. What would you guys suggest - sticking with one drive, or popping in a Fasttrack and another?

Thanks!
guptasa1

G

You don't need a raid.
I know today'd hype is all about having a main board with a raid controler and a raid for home computer but for what ?
I am working in video editing and use a single IBM 75GXP for system drive. My system work perfect and I am having no speed problems what so ever. The drive is not even on a dedicated channel and have a second drive on set as slave.
Save the money for somthing else. Get a better display card or monitor. you will be much more happy.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i agree, ya i have a raid 0, but it's nice for video, that's all this comp does. but for gaming, office apps, browsing the net, you're not gonna see noticable performance gains. i would look at it as considering a dual cpu setup for gaming, etc. ya it would be cool, but would it be worth it? also scuba, nice to see you on the boards. i've enjoyed reading some of your posts/comments on other things. i think you mentioned in another forum that you had the t3k? from you're experience with it how do you like it? thanks.

guptasa1

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
Thanks a lot guys! That's actually what the salespeople told me at the vendor I'm ordering from (GamePC) too, but I wanted a couple other opinions. I think I'll be quite happy with a single drive!

Thanks again,
guptasa1

G

The T3K is a Monster Unlimited !!!
We are doing a day's work in less then two hours.
Of cource you need to like playing with monsters. :wink: