Cheap i5 2500k build not for gaming?

manthatsucks

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and I want to build a new rig now for my growing processing work. I've seen that the IVY bridge processors are not keen on overclocking so I am currently looking at the i5 2500k for a budget build. This PC tower is not for gaming, it is for my photoshop CS5 premiere and lightroom 4.1 work. I will do some video and audio work occasionally but not nearly as much as my main photo processing work.
Stuff that I'm looking(hopefully) to have in my new tower:
1. i5 2500k (will be overclocking to standard 4.5GHz or so) $210
2. Asus P8Z68-V PRO w/ Dual DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, CrossFireX / SLI (on sale currently $129.99)
3. Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 Ports (SGC-1000-KWN1) ($51.99)
4. Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B ($84.99)

I need some help on the graphics card and cooling system. Do I need liquid cooling on this? I also would like a SSD as my boot drive and a HDD at 6.0gbs as my storage, any recommendations?

Since this is a i5 build I do not want to spend more than $800.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

But a extra 50% cost on the processor that won't provide a extra 50% boost in speed in photoshop...

I'd rather have him spend that $100 on a 7750 which will speed up the programs (that support GPGPU functionality, which lightroom 4.1 (only some features though) and cs5 does support (but only ATI 6 series officially... don't see why 7 series can't work)) by a hell of a lot more than i7 vs i5...

well if its work, the price is made up in how much time you save.

because intel worked like this for a long time. i5s and i7s were always around 100 dollars apart depending on if there is a sale or not

GPU accleration works on any video card. the 7 series are supported as far as i know

manthatsucks

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
now I am confused. To my understanding, a graphics card would help boost my speed and performance. But can the new Intel IVY bridge's 4000 graphics do the job? OR do I need a graphics card with an i7 or an i5?

rendering takes place on the CPU. the GPU is just avaliable to help speed things up a little by doing some rendering on the CPU. the intergrated graphics is just there to provide a display out put and if you are to do transcoding, use the intergrated core to transcode. it is much faster to transcode a video on intergrated than on a CPU or a high powered graphics card

more threads on a CPU means that things render faster. clockspeed not so much