Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Do they sell versions of Windows 7 that only let you upgrade?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • CD-Rom
Last response: in Windows 7
February 15, 2012 8:08:51 PM

I was wondering if there are CD's for Windows 7 that WON'T let you install the operating system unless your system actually has another version of Windows on it. In other words, the CD can only be used for upgrading, and won't work if say you have Linux or Mac or nothing and want to install Windows 7. I'm planning to buy Windows 7 from my school but somebody told me it won't work unless you have Windows installed already...I think he has no idea what he is talking about, but wanted to double check.

More about : sell versions windows upgrade

February 15, 2012 8:20:24 PM

There are versions of Windows 7 that are upgrade only, although you can still perform clean installs with them.
Score
February 15, 2012 8:23:49 PM

CyBorG3132 said:
There are versions of Windows 7 that are upgrade only, although you can still perform clean installs with them.

wait what? isn't that a contradiction?
Score
Related resources
February 15, 2012 8:25:46 PM

If no qualifying OS is found to already be installed, an upgrade version of Windows will require you to insert the installation disc from a qualifying version.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2012 8:31:35 PM

sewalk said:
If no qualifying OS is found to already be installed, an upgrade version of Windows will require you to insert the installation disc from a qualifying version.

Hi :) 

No that doesnt work in 7....

What happens is if you use an "upgrade" then if no suitable OS is found to upgrade, then it offers to FORMAT the drive and then install....

Note...you LOSE ...ALL your files and drivers etc....

All the best Brett :) 
Score
February 15, 2012 8:49:20 PM

Brett928S2 said:

No that doesnt work in 7....

What happens is if you use an "upgrade" then if no suitable OS is found to upgrade, then it offers to FORMAT the drive and then install....

Note...you LOSE ...ALL your files and drivers etc....

Oh okay, so if I buy this "upgrade only" version of Windows 7 to be installed on a new computer on a brand new harddrive, then everything will turn out just fine?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2012 8:58:13 PM

opqpop said:
Oh okay, so if I buy this "upgrade only" version of Windows 7 to be installed on a new computer on a brand new harddrive, then everything will turn out just fine?

Yes sort of...

Windows WILL install all fine....

BUT....as it formatted the drive ALL your hardware drivers are now gone (although 7 is pretty good at installing most of them during the install)

So you will need to install ANY missing hardware drivers AFTER the install...sound, lan, graphics , mobo, etc etc...

Score

Best solution

a c 421 $ Windows 7
February 15, 2012 8:59:31 PM
February 15, 2012 8:59:36 PM

No problem. Google your problem as there are a few extra steps involved in installing a fresh copy of Win 7 using an upgrade CD.
Score
a c 421 $ Windows 7
February 15, 2012 9:00:23 PM

I just posted the link he needs.
Score
February 16, 2012 1:54:36 AM

Best answer selected by opqpop.
Score
a c 421 $ Windows 7
February 16, 2012 2:17:10 AM

Thanks for the vote!
Score