Feb 10, 2013
So the title kinda says it all, but let me explain:

My setup:

E7500 stock
4GB DDR2
1 Sata 2 hd
1 dvd drive

GTX650 Ti Gigabyte ( 1gb model )
400W CM ELITE PSU ( dual 16A 12V rails ) ( the psu delivers nice power, 70-80% efficiency if im not wrong, and it went up to 420W on a review im reading right now...

So on one of the 12V i got the GPU and the other is carrying the rest of my PC.

Will my PC blow up? Will my GTX650Ti use more than 16A on a single 12V rail?

Please answer as fast as possible, since i just installed the card/psu on my system and im kinda scared.

Solution
I feel you will be fine. The GTX 650ti demands 110W at max. That relates to 9.17A on the +12V rail(s).
http://www.hwcompare.com/13622/geforce-gtx-650-ti/

Your PC won't blow up even if you install too big a card (which this one isn't). If you have too great of a load on the +12V circuit, the voltage will drop and the PC will reboot or shut down.

drg889

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
EDIT: nvm saw that it's 400W recommended and 20A on 12V rail. TBH it should be fine, but under heavy/max load on your whole system, it could cause problems, but overall with regular use, should still work. Up to you whether you want to spend the money to reassure yourself.

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 20 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated @ 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Cooler Master Elite Power 400W (RS-400-PSAR-J3/RS-400-PSAP-J3), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps and with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card.

The GeForce GTX 650 Ti should be drawing less than 6 Amps from the +12V rail(s) during gaming.

SamTheTruth

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Well thanks guys, ill run some stress tests and see, but i think i wont have any problems, and actually i found out this psu is pretty good, it handled up to 420W on a test made by a website. And since the power draw is divided in 2 12v rails i think il lbe fine !

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I feel you will be fine. The GTX 650ti demands 110W at max. That relates to 9.17A on the +12V rail(s).
http://www.hwcompare.com/13622/geforce-gtx-650-ti/

Your PC won't blow up even if you install too big a card (which this one isn't). If you have too great of a load on the +12V circuit, the voltage will drop and the PC will reboot or shut down.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Here's another source for verification: http://www.geeks3d.com/20090618/graphics-cards-thermal-design-power-tdp-database/

Keep in mind that TDP is 'thermal design power'. That refers to the max amount of heat the card's cooling system is designed to remove. In most cases, that relates roughly to the card's max power consumption at the most demanding gaming. If you O/C your card the watts used will naturally be higher.

Power consumption of the card measured at DC VGA card inputs, not of the whole system (i.e. power consumption of the graphics card only, measured via the PCI-Express power connector(s) and PCI-Express bus slot). You can see the power consumption of a factory overclocked card like the EVGA GTX 650 Ti SSC 2 GB compared to the NVIDIA reference design GeForce GTX 650 Ti card.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_650_Ti_SSC/25.html

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
@ko888
Excellent comparison. But keep in mind they admit that the maximum results are non gaming results reached only with stress-testing applications and that they " disabled the power-limiting system on cards with power-limiting systems or configured it to the highest available setting - if possible". But the point is well taken.

SamTheTruth

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hmm interesting. Well i just wanted the know how much the card will consume for gaming, because thats pretty much all i do anyways. This card doesnt have a high TDP, but i wasnt sure how the rest of the system would do. Its been running fine so far and i think it will keep running fine =)