I "some how" broke my dads PC. Need CHEAP new build!

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I think that unless you're willing to try to unlock the second (locked) core of that Sempron, you should go with a dual-core CPU such as an Athlon II x2. I also don't think that I'd recommend that PSU because I'm not very familiar with CIT. I'd go for something from Antec or Corsair (Seasonic, XFX, PCP&P, and more are also great, but they're generally a little more expensive).

obsama1

Distinguished
The Sempron is OK, but a single-core isn't going to last for more than a year. Get a slightly more expensive dual-core. An Athlon II dualcore would be better.

nstiver

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Okay, how did you actually "break" his computer. I bet there may be a way to fix it, unless you fried the CPU trying to overclock or something.

hellohappy22

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

I took it apart (hasent been apart in 3 years) to use my compressed air to clean it out a little. And my dad decided he knew Pc's better than me and started wiping the components with a wet cloth........ So now when I turn it on. It boots up but dosent past POST and cant see the BIOS. So its on but not working :S Any suggestions?

So just a thinking here. How did you "break" his PC? Did you damage a component and the hardware is now faulty? Or did you just somehow corrupt the OS and you can just reinstall it? If that hardware is good, just reinstall.

If the hardware is now bad, somtimes it is just cheaper and easier to get a lowend PC. Here in the US an HP pavilion with an AMD A10 is like $500. If all he is going to do it browse the web, that would be perfect for many years. Sometimes building a good lowend PC is difficult and an OEM machine will fit the bill. If that is not the direction you want to go, by all means build away.

hellohappy22

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

^^ see above how I broke it.

We can realy aford that, either he buys a 2nd hand PC (I dont want him to do that) or I make the cheapest one I can

nstiver

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

How is that your fault. Sounds to me like he broke it, not you. If he's blaming you for that hes being a moron

hellohappy22

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

You are correct, but after me trying to help... as I took it apart its now my problem... and while i'm under his roof I cant complain :/

Yes you can. If your motherboard has a speaker, you will get "beep" code(s) which help to isolate an issue. Your motherboard may even have a vga port.

nstiver

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

Hah it's not your problem. He had the bright idea to clean computer componants with water. He's too proud to admit it's his fault. My dad used to pull that *** when I was a teenager--it's absurd. It's one thing if you just want to help, but it's another thing if he doesn't want to accept responsibilty for wrecking his own PC against your advice and then blames you because you are "under his roof"

hellohappy22

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

EXACTLY! he hastent got the minerals to admit its his fault.

hellohappy22

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

cheers for the advice, I will look for a PSU for the same price but not CIT