Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I "some how" broke my dads PC. Need CHEAP new build!

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 7, 2012 7:50:02 PM

Hi guys,

I recently broke my dads PC, (accidentally while trying to improve the performance) now I need to buy him a new one.

All he dose is go on eBay, so I just need a cheap PC that will last him 3-4 years. (or just browsing the Net)

Here is what I have so far, if you could just check compatibility/advise that would be great!

Processor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIBsoeK11fI&feature=fvwr...

CPU - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIBsoeK11fI&feature=fvwr...

RAM - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-1333MHz-DDR3-Non-ECC-M...

Case - http://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-2017-MIDI-Power-Supply/dp/B...

CD Drive - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Multi...

PSU - http://www.amazon.co.uk/450w-Gold-Silent-Power-Supply/d...

Graphics card - BUILT IN

HDD - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Caviar-Drive-In...

ALL suggestions appreciated

More about : broke dads cheap build

October 7, 2012 8:07:54 PM

What's with the CPU and Processor link? Not to mention redundancy, LOL.
Related resources
October 7, 2012 8:18:46 PM

I think that unless you're willing to try to unlock the second (locked) core of that Sempron, you should go with a dual-core CPU such as an Athlon II x2. I also don't think that I'd recommend that PSU because I'm not very familiar with CIT. I'd go for something from Antec or Corsair (Seasonic, XFX, PCP&P, and more are also great, but they're generally a little more expensive).
October 7, 2012 8:18:49 PM

The Sempron is OK, but a single-core isn't going to last for more than a year. Get a slightly more expensive dual-core. An Athlon II dualcore would be better.
October 7, 2012 8:21:04 PM

Okay, how did you actually "break" his computer. I bet there may be a way to fix it, unless you fried the CPU trying to overclock or something.
October 7, 2012 8:24:33 PM

nstiver said:
Okay, how did you actually "break" his computer. I bet there may be a way to fix it, unless you fried the CPU trying to overclock or something.


I took it apart (hasent been apart in 3 years) to use my compressed air to clean it out a little. And my dad decided he knew Pc's better than me and started wiping the components with a wet cloth........ So now when I turn it on. It boots up but dosent past POST and cant see the BIOS. So its on but not working :S Any suggestions?
October 7, 2012 8:25:35 PM

So just a thinking here. How did you "break" his PC? Did you damage a component and the hardware is now faulty? Or did you just somehow corrupt the OS and you can just reinstall it? If that hardware is good, just reinstall.

If the hardware is now bad, somtimes it is just cheaper and easier to get a lowend PC. Here in the US an HP pavilion with an AMD A10 is like $500. If all he is going to do it browse the web, that would be perfect for many years. Sometimes building a good lowend PC is difficult and an OEM machine will fit the bill. If that is not the direction you want to go, by all means build away.
October 7, 2012 8:28:21 PM

jay2tall said:
So just a thinking here. How did you "break" his PC? Did you damage a component and the hardware is now faulty? Or did you just somehow corrupt the OS and you can just reinstall it? If that hardware is good, just reinstall.

If the hardware is now bad, somtimes it is just cheaper and easier to get a lowend PC. Here in the US an HP pavilion with an AMD A10 is like $500. If all he is going to do it browse the web, that would be perfect for many years. Sometimes building a good lowend PC is difficult and an OEM machine will fit the bill. If that is not the direction you want to go, by all means build away.


^^ see above how I broke it.

We can realy aford that, either he buys a 2nd hand PC (I dont want him to do that) or I make the cheapest one I can
October 7, 2012 8:41:32 PM

You could get one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

A4-3400 based build with everything except OS (teach him to use linux or use whatever you have currently)
$220

See if you can find out what is wrong with the old one first though.

EDIT: Just noticed it's missing a DVD drive - pick one up for ~$15 or use the current one if SATA
October 7, 2012 8:46:02 PM

thats a great buy!, but im from the UK :'(  other wise looks good.

Also I have windows 7 ready! :p 
October 7, 2012 9:00:31 PM

Well, which parts did he wipe? Was it just fans/heatsinks, or did he wipe the motherboard etc.
October 7, 2012 9:54:48 PM

Ye he wiped all of it, and only decided to tell me erlier, so guessing it would be best to replace all :/ 
October 7, 2012 10:05:35 PM

Before you have the old PC's funeral, try resetting CMOS, see where that gets you
October 7, 2012 10:22:29 PM

Did he take the CPU out of the socket etc? If not, some parts may be salvageable. Try breadboarding it (motherboard outside case on cardboard, CPU, HSF, and one stick of ram only with PSU).
October 8, 2012 8:47:59 AM

I think it might be the graphics card, can you turn a PC on with no graphics card?
October 8, 2012 2:47:18 PM

hellohappy22 said:
I took it apart (hasent been apart in 3 years) to use my compressed air to clean it out a little. And my dad decided he knew Pc's better than me and started wiping the components with a wet cloth........ So now when I turn it on. It boots up but dosent past POST and cant see the BIOS. So its on but not working :S Any suggestions?


How is that your fault. Sounds to me like he broke it, not you. If he's blaming you for that hes being a moron
October 8, 2012 2:54:29 PM

nstiver said:
How is that your fault. Sounds to me like he broke it, not you. If he's blaming you for that hes being a moron


You are correct, but after me trying to help... as I took it apart its now my problem... and while i'm under his roof I cant complain :/ 
October 8, 2012 2:57:12 PM

Dont buy the CIT powersupply CIT sounds a bit like sh!t for a very good reason
October 8, 2012 3:02:36 PM

hellohappy22 said:
I think it might be the graphics card, can you turn a PC on with no graphics card?

Yes you can. If your motherboard has a speaker, you will get "beep" code(s) which help to isolate an issue. Your motherboard may even have a vga port.
October 8, 2012 3:03:10 PM

hellohappy22 said:
You are correct, but after me trying to help... as I took it apart its now my problem... and while i'm under his roof I cant complain :/ 


Hah it's not your problem. He had the bright idea to clean computer componants with water. He's too proud to admit it's his fault. My dad used to pull that *** when I was a teenager--it's absurd. It's one thing if you just want to help, but it's another thing if he doesn't want to accept responsibilty for wrecking his own PC against your advice and then blames you because you are "under his roof"
October 8, 2012 3:04:37 PM

nstiver said:
Hah it's not your problem. He had the bright idea to clean computer componants with water. He's too proud to admit it's his fault. My dad used to pull that *** when I was a teenager--it's absurd. It's one thing if you just want to help, but it's another thing if he doesn't want to accept responsibilty for wrecking his own PC against your advice and then blames you because you are "under his roof"


EXACTLY! he hastent got the minerals to admit its his fault.
October 8, 2012 3:05:35 PM

wr6133 said:
Dont buy the CIT powersupply CIT sounds a bit like sh!t for a very good reason


cheers for the advice, I will look for a PSU for the same price but not CIT
October 8, 2012 3:12:32 PM

Go ahed and play his little game. Just resolve not to be like that with your own son when you are a Dad.
October 8, 2012 3:17:26 PM

Have your revenge when you move out. Incorrectly configure a TOR bundle and download a whole bundle of Jihad manuals on his machine. :) 
October 8, 2012 3:23:57 PM

wr6133 said:
Have your revenge when you move out. Incorrectly configure a TOR bundle and download a whole bundle of Jihad manuals on his machine. :) 


hahahah great idea.
October 8, 2012 3:29:07 PM

nstiver said:
hahahah great idea.


Possibly one of the best ideas I have seen in a long time!, but like you say just dont be like it with my kids in the future is some awesome advise!
October 8, 2012 3:35:57 PM

Hmmm, I think we're losing focus here... Simple life lesson, "Life isn't always fair"

Back to the old PC, if you've tried resetting CMOS and have tried starting it without graphics card and still nothing, going to suggest you "breadboard" it as SomeoneSomewhere suggested earlier. If still nothing, then look at parts.

BTW, for a PSU, look to SeaSonic, Antec, XFX, Corsair, Be Quiet, then look for reviews for the exact unit, they should be found among this list (hopefully)
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm
January 24, 2014 8:56:20 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A4-6300 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (£36.59 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard (£45.06 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.00 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 350 ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply (£53.90 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (£10.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £238.32
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-25 04:56 GMT+0000)
January 24, 2014 10:33:14 PM

luciferano said:
I think that unless you're willing to try to unlock the second (locked) core of that Sempron, you should go with a dual-core CPU such as an Athlon II x2. I also don't think that I'd recommend that PSU because I'm not very familiar with CIT. I'd go for something from Antec or Corsair (Seasonic, XFX, PCP&P, and more are also great, but they're generally a little more expensive).


This, Sempron is outdated; my school still uses the same processor though lmao
!