Sign in with
Your question

Homebuilt PC problems booting.

Last response: in Systems
October 7, 2012 8:04:29 PM

Hello all.

This is my first post.

I built a new PC, I will give the specs below.

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
Intel Core i7 3770
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced USB 3.0 case
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 10-10-10-27 (4x8GB) - This is on the supported RAM list on ASUS website for this mobo
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD
Western Digital 2TB HDD
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB PCI-E
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Value PCI
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W PS

I dual boot OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit.

As you can see I bought what I consider pretty decent parts.

I assembled the PC and flashed the UEFI to 1504 which is the latest according to ASUS website.

The assembly went together without much difficulty as I always build my own PC.

The only problem I am having appears to be a RAM issue. The MEM_OK LED will sometimes turn solid red. Tsis indicated a RAM issue. I press the button to allow the UEFI to test settings and then save to the UEFI upon boot.

Still sometimes the PC will not boot and the red LED will light up.

I ran Memtest86+ v4.20 for ~8 hours and no errors.

Once the PC boots everything is excellent.

I tried enabling X.M.P in the UEFI as this is the exact memory profile, but still sometimes the PC fails to boot and hangs with a black screen until I cycle power.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
October 8, 2012 6:39:50 PM

No one has any ideas?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 8, 2012 7:40:26 PM

Hey when you set the mem to XMP settings did you verify that they were correct. Or set them manually to the xmp specs. then try again. I would also try to boot with only one stick. Then if ok with one stick then try the others. Try another power supply if you have one to eliminate that. Or try to go back one step on the UEFI? There are a bunch of threads about problems with this board. I would also go through the whole troubleshooting guide to eliminate everything else.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
Mac

m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2012 8:09:46 PM

macusn said:
Hey when you set the mem to XMP settings did you verify that they were correct. Or set them manually to the xmp specs. then try again. I would also try to boot with only one stick. Then if ok with one stick then try the others. Try another power supply if you have one to eliminate that. Or try to go back one step on the UEFI? There are a bunch of threads about problems with this board. I would also go through the whole troubleshooting guide to eliminate everything else.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
Mac

Thank you for the reply.

I enabled XMP and then disabled XMP. In both instances CPU-Z and Memtes86+ reports the memory modules to be 10-10-10-27 timings.

The baffling portion about this problem is that once the PC boots, everything runs pretty much rock solid. I ran the machine ALL day yesterday with no hiccups whatsoever.

Now I don't have another power supply to test.

Going through link you posted, I did install the PC beeper and I get a 1 beep when successful POST, and when the red LED comes on for memory, I get no beeps.

I have the panel hooked up correctly as the power, reset, HDD and power LEDs work.

The only thing I have not tried is clearing the RTC (reset the CMOS).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2012 2:46:50 AM

and we are sure that these memory mods are on the supported list. Also do you have all the power cables properly attached to the motherboard? Some times we miss all of the power supply cables. One more thing when you test Memory is it seeing all of the memory?

Mac
m
l
October 9, 2012 3:07:21 AM

macusn said:
and we are sure that these memory mods are on the supported list. Also do you have all the power cables properly attached to the motherboard? Some times we miss all of the power supply cables. One more thing when you test Memory is it seeing all of the memory?

Mac

Yes, I bought Corsair Vengeance and that is on ASUS Memory Support List

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...

I attached the 20+4 power connector and the 8 pin CPU power connector.

When I go to the UEFI is reads the amount of RAM as 32768 MB.

Here is a CPU-Z screenshot.

Here is a screenshot of the UEFI.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2012 4:15:41 PM

Well I would reset the CMOS and go back into Bios and check everything XMP settings ect. The only other thing is try booting without the video card and seeing if that makes a difference??? Also if you have not, re-seat the Memory sticks and try that. I still think that we need to check the power supply and to rule out issues with that before we go anywhere else. Did you buy the motherboard retail? It may be time to contact Asus and start a return or get some trouble shooting advice from them.

Mac
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2012 4:42:21 PM

Hey one more thing check your power supply plugs and make sure they don't have bent pins, and our properly seated. I am thinking it is the power supply with the intermittent issues??
Mac
m
l
October 9, 2012 5:56:05 PM

macusn said:
Well I would reset the CMOS and go back into Bios and check everything XMP settings ect. The only other thing is try booting without the video card and seeing if that makes a difference??? Also if you have not, re-seat the Memory sticks and try that. I still think that we need to check the power supply and to rule out issues with that before we go anywhere else. Did you buy the motherboard retail? It may be time to contact Asus and start a return or get some trouble shooting advice from them.

Mac

Ok, last night I went home, removed all the RAM, the Nvidia GTX550 Ti, and the Audigy 2 sound card. I have the ability to use the HD4000 from the CPU for video. I then started with 8GB(Good), 16GB(Good), and finally 32GB(Good). I thought to myself it must be the video card. I then inserted the Video card and went through several boots and reboots, all was good. I put the Audigy 2 card back in and the system seemed to boot fine.

I then put the case back together and the problem started again(DRAM_LED). It's like the system is teasing me.

macusn said:
Hey one more thing check your power supply plugs and make sure they don't have bent pins, and our properly seated. I am thinking it is the power supply with the intermittent issues??
Mac

Is there a way to test a PC power supply without replacing it?

It might be a power supply as the system only starts misbehaving WHEN all the components are installed.

Thanks.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2012 6:47:06 PM

Did you get all of the standoffs installed in between the case and the motherboard. Also are you getting a power cable pinched when you put the case back together? Are all your fans running properly?

I know there are ways to check a power supply for certain things, but those may not catch what we need to see on the moment of start up when the memory (and everything else] is starting up. The best way is to find, borrow, a known working supply (out of another computer don't need 700 watts).

You might need to bump up the voltage on the memory, with all that memory installed, but I have never done it will read some more later. I think you can also tweek the way the voltage is regulated let me read some more tonight and maybe we try that.

Anybody else reading this can recommend a voltage bump on his memory for his problem?
m
l
October 9, 2012 7:22:01 PM

macusn said:
Did you get all of the standoffs installed in between the case and the motherboard. Also are you getting a power cable pinched when you put the case back together? Are all your fans running properly?

I know there are ways to check a power supply for certain things, but those may not catch what we need to see on the moment of start up when the memory (and everything else] is starting up. The best way is to find, borrow, a known working supply (out of another computer don't need 700 watts).

You might need to bump up the voltage on the memory, with all that memory installed, but I have never done it will read some more later. I think you can also tweek the way the voltage is regulated let me read some more tonight and maybe we try that.

Anybody else reading this can recommend a voltage bump on his memory for his problem?

Yes, the case has places for 9 standoffs and I have installed all 9 standoffs with screws used.

I will check the powers cables again when I get home.

Yes, all the fans (including CPU fan) start spinning at boot.

I have an old power supply, but it does not have a 24pin ATX connector and no 8 pin CPU connector.

The RAM default voltage is 1.5V, I have bumped it up to 1.6V with no success in consistent booting.

Now when I boot into Ubuntu 12.04 I do get a slight pixelating at the login screen. This leads me to believe it might be a video card. I will try running with just the Ivy Bridge HD4000 for a while.

These types of problems are the worst to track down.
m
l
October 9, 2012 7:26:18 PM

macusn said:
Hey check this out. May want to check for bent pins on the CPU. I have also heard of issues with tightening the heat sink to much.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/321835-30-asus-p8z77-...

mac

I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I will take the heatsink off and check for any bent pins in the socket. It is my instinct that if pins were bent in the socket, the PC would not boot at all.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2012 9:51:29 PM

I agree on the CPU but it is one thing that we can remove from a list of variables on the issue. Still thinking Power supply, and then possibly mother board.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2012 12:46:54 AM

I would also spend more time on the issue that it boots with the case open but when you shut it we get problems. This might be the problem with some small short that is affecting the ability of the power supply to provide the proper voltages/amps. This is also the reason to check the pins in the 8 pin and the 20+4 power supplies. A little pinch on a cable causing loss of contact or contact due to a short. Also check the wires to the power and reset switches on the case maybe a loose or ground there.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2012 12:51:31 AM

I am wondering why no one else has stepped in to help....strange. Maybe all traveling for the holiday. Watch your time frame for returning the equipment, warranties, and the such. I know you want it to work but you have to be careful with your money.

mac
m
l
October 10, 2012 7:01:40 AM

Ok latest update:

I removed the heatsink and fan, no bent pins.

I replaced the power supply with an OCZ ZT 650W model.

The problem still persists.

I have replaced the RAM and power supply. The odds that the CPU is bad is probably near zero.

The only thing left is the motherboard. I guess I will get an RMA for the mobo from Amazon.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2012 7:39:43 PM

sounds good let me know.

Mac
m
l
October 12, 2012 6:13:32 AM

macusn said:
sounds good let me know.

Mac

I ended up replacing the motherboard. After having a lengthy chat with one of the guys at Micro Center, he strongly recommended Gigabyte over Asus.

I ended up getting the GA-Z77X-D3H and it has been flawless. The manager informed me that Asus has the highest return rate of any of the better motherboards.

Good news Ubuntu works OOB on the Gigabyte model as it did on the Asus model. The Asus model has a better UEFI interface, but working is MUCH better.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2012 7:26:45 PM

nice! Glad to hear the new board is working. Enjoy

Mac
m
l
!