Sign in with
Your question

Where to plug usb 3.0 chasis leads into mobo?

Last response: in Components
February 20, 2013 6:19:59 PM

this might be a stupid easy question but my new case has USB 3.0 and the leads from the front go into the mobo but im not sure where,
here is a picture of the leads i need to connect to the mobo: http://puu.sh/25J4f
i think i need to upgrade my mobo as i think i need one that says USB 3.0 on it for the IDE side to go into?

More about : plug usb chasis leads mobo

February 20, 2013 6:32:26 PM

That's a 19 pin USB 3.0, read through the manual to see if you have it. You could get an adapter to make it a usb2.0, this way you could keep your board.
February 20, 2013 6:33:53 PM

You need a USB 3.0 header. It should be located on the right side of the motherboard (looking down, in the middle. Some of the older boards located it on the bottom.

If your motherboard doesn't have one, fear not.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

All you need is a unused PCIe single lane port.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 20, 2013 6:34:52 PM

Look in your manual for your motherboard there should be a 20 pin USB 3 connector on the motherboard to plug that into. Since you did not give your motherboard make/model I can't really help you any more that that. Give us more infor and maybe we can help you futher.
a b ) Power supply
February 20, 2013 6:49:15 PM

What is your current motherboard?
February 20, 2013 6:52:13 PM

you should see somthing like this on the motherboard
February 21, 2013 10:10:09 AM

groundrat said:
You need a USB 3.0 header. It should be located on the right side of the motherboard (looking down, in the middle. Some of the older boards located it on the bottom.

If your motherboard doesn't have one, fear not.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

All you need is a unused PCIe single lane port.

my mobo is foxconn a76gmv, i dont think i have any connections for the USB 3.0's, if i bought this item from your link, does that mean i will have 3.0 connection speed although the specs for my mobo doesnt say 3.0 at all?
February 21, 2013 10:12:35 AM

bryonhowley said:
Look in your manual for your motherboard there should be a 20 pin USB 3 connector on the motherboard to plug that into. Since you did not give your motherboard make/model I can't really help you any more that that. Give us more infor and maybe we can help you futher.

i have foxconn a76gmv, i dont think i have any connections :/ 
February 21, 2013 10:12:58 AM

logainofhades said:
What is your current motherboard?

i have foxconn a76gmv
a b ) Power supply
February 21, 2013 12:17:53 PM

shaun88 said:
my mobo is foxconn a76gmv, i dont think i have any connections for the USB 3.0's, if i bought this item from your link, does that mean i will have 3.0 connection speed although the specs for my mobo doesnt say 3.0 at all?

The card has a controller for the USB ports on that card and they would be 3.0. It functions separate from the motherboard controllers much like that of a sound card of modem.
February 21, 2013 8:50:47 PM

shaun88 said:

I figured you had an older motherboard. Yes, if you buy that controller you will be plugging it into your PCIe 1.0 buss and converting that to a USB3.0 It will give you the header for your front panel connection as well as two USB 3.0 connectors on the back.
!