Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which 660TI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 16, 2012 1:50:03 PM

Im curious (like anyone else) which 660Ti is going to have the greatest overall performance. I have always purchased EVGA cards in the past. I was reading some reviews this morning and the MSI version rated well and was slightly faster than the EVGA card.
Does anyone have any experience with MSI cards or gigabyte, zotac, etc.? Id prefer a more reliable card over one thats just 50mhz clocked higher. Also the software it comes bundled with is important.

thanks

More about : 660ti

a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 1:53:35 PM

both EVGA and MSI are known for making excellent quality gpus. You can go for either without worrying too much. I have personally owned Asus, Gigabyte, Inno3d products they were all great with no issues whatsoever. The MSI gtx660 ti power edition looks great since it puts a gtx670 to shame right out of box.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4887/msi_geforce_gtx_6...
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 1:53:57 PM

dc2587 said:
Im curious (like anyone else) which 660Ti is going to have the greatest overall performance. I have always purchased EVGA cards in the past. I was reading some reviews this morning and the MSI version rated well and was slightly faster than the EVGA card.
Does anyone have any experience with MSI cards or gigabyte, zotac, etc.? Id prefer a more reliable card over one thats just 50mhz clocked higher. Also the software it comes bundled with is important.

thanks


Here's a round up to start vetting.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-...

I am leaning toward the EVGA currently, with a probable SLI sometime next spring.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 16, 2012 1:55:00 PM

dc2587 said:
Im curious (like anyone else) which 660Ti is going to have the greatest overall performance. I have always purchased EVGA cards in the past. I was reading some reviews this morning and the MSI version rated well and was slightly faster than the EVGA card.
Does anyone have any experience with MSI cards or gigabyte, zotac, etc.? Id prefer a more reliable card over one thats just 50mhz clocked higher. Also the software it comes bundled with is important.

thanks


Do you plan on running 3 screens? If so the hardware in the box should be important as well. I had to shell out an extra $30 for adapters for my 7950 card. In my opinion MSI makes good stuff, but it usually has a little bit of a higher price tag on it. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 2:04:30 PM

ncasolo said:
Do you plan on running 3 screens? If so the hardware in the box should be important as well. I had to shell out an extra $30 for adapters for my 7950 card. In my opinion MSI makes good stuff, but it usually has a little bit of a higher price tag on it. Sometimes you get what you pay for.


2 Screens only. Also EVGAs website listed 6 660Tis coming. Some are 3GB versions.

http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?family=GeForc...

I might wait til some of the FTW or 3GB versions become available and tested. Thoughts?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 2:13:20 PM

dc2587 said:
2 Screens only. Also EVGAs website listed 6 660Tis coming. Some are 3GB versions.

http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?family=GeForc...

I might wait til some of the FTW or 3GB versions become available and tested. Thoughts?


I don't think the 3gb versions would perform that great. I mean the 192bit bus speed would still be limiting the memory performance. Like even a 2gb gtx670 performs better than 4gb even at higher resolution cause of the 256bit limitations. 3gb would be overkill for that gpu IMO>
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 2:18:59 PM

dc2587 said:
2 Screens only. Also EVGAs website listed 6 660Tis coming. Some are 3GB versions.

http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?family=GeForc...

I might wait til some of the FTW or 3GB versions become available and tested. Thoughts?


I always hate making a major purchase decision without all of the details. Until you get benchmarks for the 3GB versions or FTW versions you're speculating. You can make educated decisions based on the available information, but you're still not going to know for sure until someone does some tests.

I've seen a few people say 2GB vs. 3GB won't make much/any difference. Yet when I got a 1GB card compared to the same 2GB card it seemed to make a measurable difference and this was a couple years ago.
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 2:23:00 PM

The 660TI FTW looks nice. Faster clock, can still OC. for 319.99. Only problem is no info on release, and at 319.99, perhaps we will see a price drop in the 670 series and make that card more appealing.
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 2:24:24 PM

ncasolo said:
I always hate making a major purchase decision without all of the details. Until you get benchmarks for the 3GB versions or FTW versions you're speculating. You can make educated decisions based on the available information, but you're still not going to know for sure until someone does some tests.

I've seen a few people say 2GB vs. 3GB won't make much/any difference. Yet when I got a 1GB card compared to the same 2GB card it seemed to make a measurable difference and this was a couple years ago.


I agree more testing is needed. I am looking at 3GB because I moved up to a 2560x1440 27in monitor recently and my decrepit gt430 is an empty husk of a video card to a point that I cannot play most games even less taxing ones like Magicka or Torchlight 1 on it.
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 2:36:58 PM

pennywise said:
I agree more testing is needed. I am looking at 3GB because I moved up to a 2560x1440 27in monitor recently and my decrepit gt430 is an empty husk of a video card to a point that I cannot play most games even less taxing ones like Magicka or Torchlight 1 on it.


Before sinking money into a new card make sure your CPU isn't too outdated as well.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 2:37:08 PM

I would go with EVGA because their "step up" program allow you to pay an upgrade fee and get to GTX 670 or 680 sometime in the future(90 days+ since your purchase)-> this is better than sell your used card on Ebay and buy a new one. Also their customer support is top of the line as well. If you intend to spend some money to improve your graphic card in the future this is the best option.

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 2:46:42 PM

Anyone have any idea when the other EVGA cards will be out? I havnt bought PC parts this new and dont know how the release of a new gfx card goes and when the others will trickle into existence. Couple days, couple weeks typically?
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 2:48:20 PM

I went for the MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition OC as it was the best value where I live, good job I bought it as soon as it was available as well as the site I got it from has increased its price 2 times since.
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 2:49:15 PM

dc2587 said:
Anyone have any idea when the other EVGA cards will be out? I havnt bought PC parts this new and dont know how the release of a new gfx card goes and when the others will trickle into existence. Couple days, couple weeks typically?


Really depends on the yields they have been getting on the chips and what type of inventory is built up. It could take a couple of days for it be available "off the shelf" to couple of weeks. Initial demand will probably higher as these seem to be aimed at a more mainstream crowd.

m
0
l
August 16, 2012 3:12:01 PM

cypherx said:
I went for the MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition OC as it was the best value where I live, good job I bought it as soon as it was available as well as the site I got it from has increased its price 2 times since.


I have read good things on that MSI card, and that ran cool compared to EVGA
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 3:16:08 PM

Also, factory FTW EVGA will offer slight performance compared to the factory OC version? what you guys think? Worth waiting?
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 4:13:47 PM

Well I just ordered the EVGA 660ti SC 3GB w/Backplate from Amazon. It will ship when it ships...

Btw it comes with Borderlands 2
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 4:31:14 PM

Evga superclocked sounds good
m
0
l
!