Sign in with
Your question

Date Computer came into service

Last response: in CPUs
February 20, 2013 6:27:05 PM

I GOT MY COMPUTER AS A GIFT AND THEY HAVE NO RECEIPT. I NEED TO KNOW THE DATE I RECEIVED GIFT OR WHEN i STARTED USING THE COMPUTER. ANYWAY OF FINDING THAT OUT? WHAT ABOUT WINDOWDS THAT CAME WITH IT? I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT TO DEPRECIATE THE COMPUTERS AND SOFTWARE FOR TAXS BUT THEY NEED TO KNOW THE DAY IT CAME IN SERVICE.

More about : date computer service

a b à CPUs
February 20, 2013 6:48:23 PM

All CAPS = yelling. No need to yell on this forum.

Also, I am not an accountant, but sounds to me like you're trying to claim something that was gifted to you for tax purposes. Since it cost you no money to begin with, I would double check with a tax professional if that is even legal ( since you put no money into it, getting a tax refund or a tax deduction from it sounds fishy).

The only way I know about approximating the date would be the date/time stamp created automatically on any file you modify. Looking for an old file's stamp could solve the problem.
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2013 7:06:30 PM

If when you got the computer, you created a new user account for your personal use; Go to the home directory for your account (that contains Your Documents) and check the properties. It will have the creation date. Example C:\Users\Prissy\My Documents, etc. right click on Prissy \ Properties \ Created: (details: Day of the Week, Month, day of the month, year, hour)
If you're using Windows XP; C:\Documents and Settings\Prissy\
a c 134 à CPUs
February 20, 2013 10:59:19 PM

And here i thought you got a computer from a dating service in to work on and found something "interesting"... LOL
!