A Good Enough Build?

So I finally finished my build. This is my first ever build and most of the parts were bought on sale or on a whim. I went into it not knowing anything about what to even buy and what works. I just wanted an opinion of whether this build is good for a gaming computer, for mainly 3d gaming like MW3, BF and etc. If there are any other things I might need to upgrade I would love to have more experienced feedback. So far it runs great and I can play GW2, Skyrim, D3 and MW3 fine. I would like to know if I could also OC this build.
Specs are as follows:

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 7850
PSU: Corsair GS700 80 PLUS BRONZE
HDD: Western Digital 1.5 TB WD Green SATA III Intellipower 64 MB Cache
RAM: Patriot 16GB 4x4 G Series Sector 5 PC3-10666 1333MHz
Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
BD-RW:ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive

All heatsinks and fans are stock. Is there anything I need to also upgrade? Or anything else you'd need to know about my build to give more advice? Do I need better cooling for my CPU or computer in general? I do run hot if I leave my computer on for a long time while afking in a game.
5 answers Last reply
More about good build
  1. Yeah everything has been bought over the course of a year. Most of them were on sale at my local Fry's or Newegg. Cost me about 900 to complete it. What should I upgrade to make it better? Or is it good enough as it is?
  2. I think SSDs are still too over priced for how much memory you get, if anything I'd only see a 60gb one useful for booting up. Is my build good enough to OC after I get a better cooler for my cpu?
  3. There is a sale for a 60gb SSD at my local Fry's so I'll go pick one up after work and look at some after market coolers for my CPU. Thanks for the help!
  4. SSDs are by FAR worth it. You're not storing data on it, you're making windows boot in less than 8 seconds, or opening photoshop in 2.

In addition to throwing an aftermarket cooler in there, I'd grab an extra fan or two to use as a side intake and a top output - just to help with airflow, since that case is pretty tight.
  5. sorry if this was in the post but how much was it. i read through really fast. its a good build, seems like those specs are becoming common for most gamers

also a SSD would be nice just get a 40gb for booting windows (or whatever you use) they are only around 50 bucks.

also if i may ask why do people get 16gb ram all builds i see have 8 or 16gb of ram really to play any game you only need 4 the only need for 8 or 16 i can think of is running servers
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Build Systems Product