Posting new AMD 8-core/Sabertooth system

Hello,

Finally got around to putting together a new system this weekend, after painstakingly collecting decent components as funds would allow. It was promising, as everything seemed to be recognized on the first power up, according to the BIOS. However, after changing the memory setting to 1,600 (from 1,333) and saving without changing the boot priority to DVD drive, now it won't bring up the monitor, even though all the components seem to be working properly, based on the MoBo lights and no warning beeps. I have tried powering down multiple times and restarting with various hardware plugged in and nothing.

I do only have one stick of RAM (8GB) inserted thinking I would insert the second once the system is up and running...maybe I need to insert it now.

Any thoughts?

Here's the rundown of components:

AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+
SABERTOOTH 990FX AMD 990FX(AM3+)
Corsair 750W PSU
Corsair XMS-3 8GB (1x8 currently but have a 2nd stick)
OCZ 256GB SSD
GeForce 1GB GTX 460 video card
2 Lite On DVD SATA drives (8X i think)

pretty bummed since i am 4 days past my RMA period for the MoBo and processor, though i feel like they are fine since the machine posted on first power up.
9 answers Last reply
More about posting core sabertooth system
  1. You might want to try resetting the CMOS.
  2. gave that a shot, two ways...one time by moving the jumpers for 5-10 sec like the manual says (closer to 1 min), after powering off and unplugging. the second way, i unplugged again, then pulled the video card to reach the CMOS battery and pulled it out carefully. still nothing.

or i should say, still the same process, which appears to be a successful POST of everything, per the MoBo self checks. all the primary component lights seems to acknowledge the device with a light coming on, then going off after self-check so that only the green power light stays on. all fans run nice and quietly. just nothing on my screen, though it appeared to work fine before i saved the BIOS settings.
  3. You tried switching sticks, right? You might have the bad one in there.
  4. DarkSable said:
    You tried switching sticks, right? You might have the bad one in there.

This MoBo has a MemOK button and start up check that is supposed to stay on if the memory has an issue, but i will try that.

Thanks.
  5. Yea I'd recommend switching stick if you can as well. I had this problem with a system when setting my 1600mhz ram to 1600mhz in the bios. The next time I turned it on, it simply wouldn't show anything, not even the bios.
    I tried resetting the CMOS in the same method you did, as soon as I put some Kingston value ram in place of the sector 5 everything worked fine.

It's weird too because my sector 5 ram was not dead, I put it in another computer and it worked fine, even on the 1600mhz setting... (It's 1600mhz DDR3 but for some reason, EVERY system I put it in puts it at 1066, some systems I can set it to 1600mhz no problem, others it causes a crash. (Don't have this ram any longer, and I am 100% certain it was the 1600mhz version of the ram and that my motherboards and CPUs were capable of 1600mhz ram)
  6. vanquished said:
    Yea I'd recommend switching stick if you can as well. I had this problem with a system when setting my 1600mhz ram to 1600mhz in the bios. The next time I turned it on, it simply wouldn't show anything, not even the bios.
    I tried resetting the CMOS in the same method you did, as soon as I put some Kingston value ram in place of the sector 5 everything worked fine.

It's weird too because my sector 5 ram was not dead, I put it in another computer and it worked fine, even on the 1600mhz setting... (It's 1600mhz DDR3 but for some reason, EVERY system I put it in puts it at 1066, some systems I can set it to 1600mhz no problem, others it causes a crash. (Don't have this ram any longer, and I am 100% certain it was the 1600mhz version of the ram and that my motherboards and CPUs were capable of 1600mhz ram)

I've also known many Asus boards to be exceptionally finicky with RAM compatibility, especially with less than highly popular brands, but that's my experience.
  7. luciferano said:
    I've also known many Asus boards to be exceptionally finicky with RAM compatibility, especially with less than highly popular brands, but that's my experience.

Yep, the system that it wouldn't work at all on after clocking to 1600mhz was an Asus, but with my ram it also wouldn't recognize the correct speed on an Asrock, two MSIs, and my rig's Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. So I'm not sure what get's the blame for not working. :D
  8. vanquished said:
    Yep, the system that it wouldn't work at all on after clocking to 1600mhz was an Asus, but with my ram it also wouldn't recognize the correct speed on an Asrock, two MSIs, and my rig's Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. So I'm not sure what get's the blame for not working. :D

At that point, the RAM might be the problem :) I'm just saying that in my experience, I've known Asus to (at least historically, not always as much these days) be more finicky about memory, especially memory that's not on the QVL.

Many motherboards also don't recognize DDR3-1600 and especially even higher frequency kits by default, but work when you try XMP or manual settings.
  9. thanks for all the help guys.

I tried resetting the CMOS once again, this time by both removing the battery and moving the jumper, just to be sure. That did not do anything, so replaced the Corsair 8GB sticks 1600 with similar ones at 1333, slotting them both at the same time. still nothing, but...

When I tried to post this time with two 8GB sticks of 1333, the MoBo warning light for the CPU would not go off, like it did every other time I tried to bring the machine up. A friend who builds a lot of machines called me and said i might need to simply re-seat the CPU. so i tried that, but in doing so, the heatsink was incredibly stuck to the chip, to the point of coming out as one unit, without lifting the release bar. (ack!) i was mortified, as i assume something is now broken beyond repair, though everything still looks fine. the odd thing is i did not add any extra thermal paste, etc to make it this adhesive...i just used the factory layer of paste that came with the shipped heatsink.

so, what can i learn from this expensive lesson (sure i am out the $160 CPU now at least, hoping nothing else is fried)...

- clearly, i made my first mistake "tweaking" the memory speed without really knowing what i was doing...and should have never changed it from 1333 native (i think) to 1600 in one huge leap.
    - should i have remove the factory heat paste and applied Arctic Silver to prevent this apparent overheating of CPU?
    - do i not have enough cooling with just case fans for running native at 1333? (I don't plan to go at 1600 at this point now...if I even can get motivated to tinker around with this anymore.)

Very frustrated and disappointed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems